Delete multiple shares

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delete multiple shares

I searched for this before posting, but obviously not very well. Anyway, is there a quick (and correct) method to unshare a whole year of students (2006) before deleting them? Is this the way to go? Thanks for your time, it's much appreciated.
    Last edited by ozbeat; 14th June 2007, 01:33.

Re: Delete multiple shares

Tell us more what you wish to do.
    Do you wish to remove accesss to server shares for a Group?
    Or, if not Grouped, remove access to server shares by a list of Usernames?
    Do you wish to remove the User Accounts from an Active Directory Domain?
    Do you wish to remove roaming profiles?
    * Users Helping Users *
    MS-MVP Windows Networking

Comment

I take you want to stop sharing multiple shares at once rather than individually before you delete them?

If so, then log onto the server where the shares reside and then open "Computer Management" by right clicking on "My Computer" and select "Manage" from there open up the "Shared Folders" node and then select "Shares". You should not see a list of shares available on the PC. From there simply select all the shares you want to stop by selecting each share and holding down the CTRL key and then right click and select "Stop Sharing". Then simply delete the folders.

Hope this helps

Michael
      Attached Files
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Just delete them -- you will be prompted that they are shared and are you sure you want to continue
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Just delete them -- you will be prompted that they are shared and are you sure you want to continue
          Are you sure you don't get any error messages in the eventlog when the system tries to start up saying "Unbale to create share blah blah blah"?

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
            Are you sure you don't get any error messages in the eventlog when the system tries to start up saying "Unbale to create share blah blah blah"?

Michael
            I've only seen that when the shared folder has been deleted "off line" e.g. in safe mode. When I've deleted folders, it looks like this:
            Attached Files
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I thought I wasn't going mad. If you have shares on a file server that you delete remotely (via UNC path) then when you reboot the server you get the following error messages in the system eventlog:

The server service was unable to recreate the share Share1 because the directory C:\Documents and Settings\9051\Desktop\Share1 no longer exists. Please run "net share Share1 /delete" to delete the share, or recreate the directory C:\Documents and Settings\9051\Desktop\Share1.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
              So, to answer the original question, yes you can just delete shares from the server as it will stop the share before deleting the folder but if you delete the share via a remote workstation you need to stop the share first.

Michael
              Michael Armstrong
              www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
                I thought I wasn't going mad. If you have shares on a file server that you delete remotely (via UNC path) then when you reboot the server you get the following error messages in the system eventlog:

So, to answer the original question, yes you can just delete shares from the server as it will stop the share before deleting the folder but if you delete the share via a remote workstation you need to stop the share first.

Michael
                Exactly. Thanks for this helpful post. Case closed.

Comment

Ozbeat, what State are you in? Vic has a very good Techroom for school related things like this.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You are going mad because you are equating shares with folders. A single folder could have a hundred shares (and consequently sharenames); and, you can delete those shares without deleting the folder itself. Whether remotely or at an interactive logon on the computer hosting the shares.

What is discussed above other than in the original post by m80am is deleting folders that are also shared. That is a dfferent task then just deleting shares. As was observed, you can just nuke the folders. While the event will deserve an entry in the Event Log, it is an informative one rather than the indication of anythng fatal.
                    * Users Helping Users *
                    MS-MVP Windows Networking

Comment

I know it's informative but I personally hate my event logs filling up with pointless messages that can be avoided.

Michael
                      Michael Armstrong
                      www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X