Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public IP address to the server

Hi,

I am currently administering a windows server 2003. I decided to make this server publicly accessible and hence I assigned a public IP address to it. Now, i am able to access it with the public IP but i lost the connectivity to that server locally within the premises. Whoever wants to access the server should now access it only through the public IP Remote desktop.

Is there any way that people within the premises can access it through local ip address and others can access with through public ip address?

We have fiber optic internet connection which works through WRT54GL linksys router.

Please Help !

Thanks in advance
    Sensug

Re: Public IP address to the server

-Is there a firewall between the outside world and the server?
    -What services does the server perform?
    -Could you post a diagram or explain in detail how your Server is connected to the Internet and how the LAN is connected to the Internet?

My initial thoughts are to put the server back where it was and just forward ports on the firewall but go ahead and answer the questions above and we'll see if that setup will suit your needs.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
      -Is there a firewall between the outside world and the server?
      -What services does the server perform?
      -Could you post a diagram or explain in detail how your Server is connected to the Internet and how the LAN is connected to the Internet?

My initial thoughts are to put the server back where it was and just forward ports on the firewall but go ahead and answer the questions above and we'll see if that setup will suit your needs.
      Thanks for the response.

There's a built-in firewall in the linksys router. The internet cable is directly connected to a 5 port switch and from there a line goes to the router and other one to the video conference port which we are using here. I connected this server directly to the router and manually assigned it an public ip address.

Do you have any suggestions? How to do port forwarding with linksys router? I am absolutely new to all this, so kindly please help me.

The router that we are using here is WRT54GL Router.

Thanks

Comment

I'm still not clear on your network setup. Does the following diagram accurately reflect your network?
        [ATTACH]1584[/ATTACH]

As for port fowarding, look at page 59 of the user guide http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

And I still don't know what you use the server for so I can't tell you what ports you need to forward.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I'm still not clear on your network setup. Does the following diagram accurately reflect your network?
          [ATTACH]1584[/ATTACH]

As for port fowarding, look at page 59 of the user guide http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

And I still don't know what you use the server for so I can't tell you what ports you need to forward.
          Here goes the network connection pattern

Internet Cable(ISP Provider)--->5 port switch---->Router1<----server

and the server is used to host a manufacturing ERP software.

Comment

I see. Well I'm amazed that your server is accessible to the public. It seems to me that if it's behind the firewall, it shouldn't be able to route the traffic.

No need to tell me what the IP address of the server is but can you confirm that it's not in the range of any of the following:

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
            172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
            192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I see. Well I'm amazed that your server is accessible to the public. It seems to me that if it's behind the firewall, it shouldn't be able to route the traffic.

No need to tell me what the IP address of the server is but can you confirm that it's not in the range of any of the following:

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
              172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
              192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
              it's not in this range.....how do we go about now?

Comment

I feel I don't have a good grasp of how your network is setup because the way it is in my mind it shouldn't work.

I'm going to ask some clarifying questions so bear with me.

Is the cable from the switch plugged into the "Internet" port on the back of the Linksys?
                Is the Linksys acting as a DHCP server for the LAN?
                Is the LAN gateway the Linksys router or the ISP's router/modem(cable Internet box)? (you can check this by running ipconfig on a workstation)
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Have you tried NAT on that router?

Comment

Working...
                  X