Windows 2000 DC Dead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 DC Dead

This customers Win 2k primary DC has died due to hard drive issues. There is no viable system state backup so no chance for recovery. I am going to reinstall the OS on new drives and run dcpromo to recreate the DC but what if any other steps should I follow?
    There are several other member servers in this setup but I was thinking I could just demote them to a workgroup and then re-promote them to the new DC. Is this an OK solution or not? If not what is the proper solution for these member servers?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Backspace
    Hindsight is 20/20 foresight is what matters

Re: Windows 2000 DC Dead

Seems OK... but are you worried about user profiles? Did you use EFS at all?

You'll basically have to reconfigure all the custom permission settings on all servers and workstations.

Be sure to take advantage of GPOs and get a good backup plan in place!!!!
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

ESF is not used but is there any way you know of to rebuild the DC and not effect user profiles given the fact that we have to start from scratch? I would love to not touch the other servers / workstations but I don't see any other way. I'm open to suggestions on this one.

Also it's a new customer so their last vendor never setup a backup policy for the DC. Once they are back up and running, I'll get a good backup policy going.

Thanks again.
      Hindsight is 20/20 foresight is what matters

Comment

I believe I read somewhere that it's possible to associate a profile with another account... but I can't remember where.

I know you can copy profiles from one to another but I know of no automated way.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X