Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows2000/2003 and DNS

Hi.

I have a customer forest called "domain.local" with two DC one 2003 SP1 and one 2000 SP4. All AD roles are on 2003.

I also have a child called "child1.domain.local" with one DC 2003 SP1.

I finally have another child called "child2.domain.local" with one DC 2000 SP4.

All four DCs have local DNS. The domain.local one have a AD integrated dnz zone and the child's dns have a secondary zone.

three questions:

1. Can I have all integrated zones even if in different domains using 2000/2003 or have I to upgrade to 2003 to gain access to partitions ?

2. Why if I reboot the child2.domain.local DC after I cannot find any trace of my secondary zone and need to recreate it ? Article KB842741 seems to show this exact issue but teh hotfix is only for windows2003.

3. From child1.domain.local DC I can ping all machines like "ping testchild2" -> "answer from testchild2.child2.domain.local". From child2.domain.local Dc and the windows2000 DC of domain.local instead this is not working: I was forced to add all the three domain suffix by hand in Local Area Connection.

Thank you in advance. Regards,
    Hace a nice day,

Simone Chemelli
    MCP (Exchange 2003)

(This post is provided as-is with no warranties, expressed or otherwise, and confers no rights.)

Re: Windows2000/2003 and DNS

Originally posted by chemelli View Post
    1. Can I have all integrated zones even if in different domains using 2000/2003 or have I to upgrade to 2003 to gain access to partitions ?
    As long as DNS is install on the DC then I believe you can.

2. Why if I reboot the child2.domain.local DC after I cannot find any trace of my secondary zone and need to recreate it ? Article KB842741 seems to show this exact issue but teh hotfix is only for windows2003.
    Does this happen on full reboot or when restarting the service as stated in the KB?

3. From child1.domain.local DC I can ping all machines like "ping testchild2" -> "answer from testchild2.child2.domain.local". From child2.domain.local Dc and the windows2000 DC of domain.local instead this is not working: I was forced to add all the three domain suffix by hand in Local Area Connection.
    There is no DNS suffix for the NIC.

ipconfig /all - What is your primary DNS suffix?
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Windows2000/2003 and DNS

Originally posted by ahinson View Post
      As long as DNS is install on the DC then I believe you can.
      If I change the zone to integrated then the number is SOA is not in sync between the child one and the parent one

Does this happen on full reboot or when restarting the service as stated in the KB?
      Full reboot, and not every time, something like 3 out of 5 times...

There is no DNS suffix for the NIC.

ipconfig /all - What is your primary DNS suffix?
      I Know that but with 2003 I don't need to add all the three dns suffix instead in Windows 2000 I need this...

Simone
      Hace a nice day,

Simone Chemelli
      MCP (Exchange 2003)

(This post is provided as-is with no warranties, expressed or otherwise, and confers no rights.)

Comment

Working...
      X