No announcement yet.

moving user accounts

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving user accounts

hi everybody

i have got one server and too many user accounts on it. my user accounts are local.

now we bought a new server. and i wanna move my local user accounts to my new server. is there any way to do this action?

thanks alot

Re: moving user accounts

Don't think it can be done with servers... unless you use imaging software that you can restore to different hardware.

But why not use Active Directory? Then you wouldn't be running into this situation.
    If you install AD it will keep your existing groups and users. You then can join the new server to the domain or install AD on it and it will replicate the accounts to the new server.

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

Maybe some details would help? What does my user accounts are local.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015

I don't know if this works. There's a tool that was included in the Windows NT Resource Kit called AddUsers.exe which will export local users and groups along with their descriptions [but not passwords] to a comma delimited text file. This same tool can then be used to create the user with the same names on a different server. The tool works with NT, 2000 and 2003. Unfortunately,it won't provide much help with the passwords.