Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote desktop stopped working after updates

Hi all

After the recent set of MS updates we have found a few of our servers do not allow Remote Desktop to work anymore. As soon as you click on connect it fails straight away saying "The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer"

Anyone else found this?
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Remote desktop stopped working after updates

i have seen this couple of times...

check the build in firewall... exceptions rdp

Yaniv F
    MCSE 2000 Done
    RHCE Done

Comment

The firewall isn't enabled on any of the servers.
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb View Post
        The firewall isn't enabled on any of the servers.
        did you check it? or you know it? i have seen that windows update enables it.
        MCSE 2000 Done
        RHCE Done

Comment

Originally posted by yaniv View Post
          did you check it? or you know it? i have seen that windows update enables it.
          I know it isn't. I have VNC on a couple of the servers and i did check it.
          Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Can you remotely run Terminal Services Manager from another machine (server to server or workstation w/ W2K3 Admin Pack to server)?

Just trying to see what you can do.
            Cheers,

Rick

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Also, I take it server to server gets the same error as workstation to server.

What KB's did you install (looking at the dates of the dirs created in your servers' %windir%)?

And the updates were to the servers and not workstations?

And these are W2K3 servers?

Once again, trying to narrow down the issue.
              Cheers,

Rick

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                Can you remotely run Terminal Services Manager from another machine (server to server or workstation w/ W2K3 Admin Pack to server)?

Just trying to see what you can do.
                Yes i can and see it there in the list.

Also, I take it server to server gets the same error as workstation to server.
                Yes it does

What KB's did you install (looking at the dates of the dirs created in your servers' %windir%)?
                On one of the servers (not checking all) it has:

And the updates were to the servers and not workstations?

And these are W2K3 servers?
                All updates were on the servers and workstations. The only servers affected by this are SOME of the Windows 2003 servers. Some are ok some are not. I can't find a corrolation.
                Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Any events in the eventlogs on the server that can be related to this?

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                  and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

The affected servers running DNS while the others aren't?
                    Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Rems View Post
                      Any events in the eventlogs on the server that can be related to this?

\Rems
                      Nothing in the event logs

The affected servers running DNS while the others aren't?
                      Only two of our servers are running the DNS service - one is working with TS and the other isn't. The other servers affected run a variety of services from IIS to SQL but not DNS.
                      Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Just grasping given one of the KB's : kb935966
                        Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Just grasping given one of the KB's : kb935966
                          I guessed
                          Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Nothing in the event logs
                            So, the request never reached the server or the server is simply ignoring it.

Did you check with netstat -a whether port 3389 is on 'listening' on the server and not busy

Something simple to test:
                            - Uncheck'Remote desktop' in the system properties,
                            - click [Apply] / [OK]
                            - Then reable Remote desktop again
                            (?)

On the windows server it self, are you able to start a RDP sesion to its own Localhost?

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

So, the request never reached the server or the server is simply ignoring it.

Did you check with netstat -a whether port 3389 is on 'listening' on the server and not busy
                              Used port scanner and it is listening

Something simple to test:
                              - Uncheck'Remote desktop' in the system properties,
                              - click [Apply] / [OK]
                              - Then reable Remote desktop again
                              (?)
                              Tried that. No joy.

On the windows server it self, are you able to start a RDP sesion to its own Localhost?

\Rems
                              Just tried that - gives the same error message.
                              Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Working...
                              X