No announcement yet.

DHCP relay agents

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP relay agents

My clients network configuation is that in one room he has Subnet A which is joined by the router with Subnet B . Subnet A is hosting DHCP server. The subnet B does not have dhcp present. All clients have static addresses. The router that is joining both subnets is very old machine it doesn't support dhcp relay or BOOTP. I am in process of configuring subnet B to obtain ip addresses from Subnet A dhcp server.
    I am thinking to replace this router with Windows 2003 DHCP relay agent. Then network configuration would be

Subnet A ------------ WIN 2003 DHCP Relay Agent ------ Subnet B

I am wondering do I need to put router too or DHCP relay agent will perform routing between subnet A and Subnet B too.
    Subnet A is using and B has

I have created two scopes in DHCP server. One scope contain addresses and other one I configured with addresses. Do I need to put both of my Scopes in super scope

Thanks in Advance
    Last edited by ahmer_sahab; 10th June 2007, 16:21. Reason: spelling mistakes

Re: DHCP relay agents

If your using a RRAS on a Windows 2003 Box as your DHCP relay agent then you should also be able to configure it for LAN routing to bridge your two subnets.

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **