Public web site requires login??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public web site requires login??

I have spent at least 6 hours looking for an answer on this and I can not get anything anywhere. If this problem was already answered please post a link. Here is my problem!

The IT Director made some changes with the website before he went out of town, and left me holding the nade. The problem is when anyone on the outside of our network goes to our website they will get a prompt to login (if I use my domain login the webpage comes up just fine) and it is a pubilc website, so we do not need a login. However, when in the office the website will not even come up all (says page can not be found). if I type the server ip address into IE it will then come up for me to login before viewing the webpage. I want to make this clear, this is the public website, and NOT the company intranet.

I want to make it clear that I am not web guy by all means, and from the director's actions neither is he. I am not sure if he done something to be the FIREFIGHTER when he comes back in town, but that is besides the point. Things dont just up and not work, some kind of settings have to be changed. I do believe that the problem has to be somewhere with permissions, please take a look at my screen shots and tell me what you think. (I have changed any reference that can lead this post to my company).

Thankfully Yours
    TigerTank
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TigerTank; 9th June 2007, 03:53. Reason: did not post end greating

Re: Public web site requires login?? PLZ HELP

Your authentication method dialog looks correct.

Starting w/ the easy stuff, here's my thinking:

Even though correct at the root, he may have tweaked it for a dir or file down the tree.

Note this test does contain some risk including possible disruption of service while you are performing the test plus potential amounts of rework / longer service disruption should you tweak the authentication methods incorrectly for some / all your web site. Since you're not an IIS guy, you may want to try this on a test or development IIS server first. To create the "Inheritance Overrides" situation, change the authentication for a dir or file in the development web site first then run the test.

Easiest way to test this is change something in that "Authentication Methods" dialog for the default site (like check the "Basic authentication..." box) and hit Yes then OK then Apply.

If it takes then everything down the tree has inherited the "Default Web Site" settings. Immediately go back in, uncheck "Basic authentication..." and hit OK and Apply to undo this. The problem lies elsewhere.

If, on the other hand, you get an "Inheritance Overrides" dialog then we may have something.

You may have some valid overrides so I would not suggest you undo them. Instead, note where they are and what property is overridden, hit Cancel as many times as you get that dialog, then go back in immediately, uncheck "Basic authentication..." and hit OK and Apply to undo this. Once again, hit Cancel as many times as you get the "Inheritance Overrides" dialog.

At this point your web site authentication should be as it was prior to starting this test and you may have some subordinate dir or file authentications to check out and possibly correct.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Re: Public web site requires login??

Uncheck "Integrated Windows Authentication"
      Cheers!!
      MCSE 2003,MCSA- Messaging 2003, VCP

Comment

Originally posted by entadm View Post
        Uncheck "Integrated Windows Authentication"
        I don't think so.

Has run fine for me in numerous situations for anonymous internet access (OP's first problem) w/ Windows NT Challenge/Response authentication for intranet access. This is generally the preferred situation (should you desire anonymous internet capability).

I'm thinking either the IIS privs have been tweaked down the line OR the NTFS privs have been tweaked for some of the files OR the IUSR password has been tweaked OR the app is ASP.NET w/ tweaked impersonate credentials OR ???

Trying to work it from from the easy end forward. Since I see some mixed signals regarding ability to run Challenge/Response from the Internet but not from the Inranet, I'm thinking there may be several issues.

Also may be some DNS issues in play given some of the OP's IP address comments.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I had a problem 2 odd years ago when IUSR_Servername wasn't associated with IIS. Would something like that cause a problem with external Authentication? (My problem was internal authentication.)
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            IUSR_Servername wasn't associated with IIS. Would something like that cause a problem with external Authentication?
            Absolutely. I've also had it where someone set the password on the IUSR account and got it out of sync w/ IIS.

Until the OP comes back w/ more info ...
            Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Some links you may or may not have read. Some may lead you to find other clues.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324274

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269367 - got this one from the IUSR_Servername not working.

Any errors/codes when you don't get authenticated? I was very fortunate that AHinson was able to help me get one problem fixed and then the error codes were like a trail of breadcrumbs. (I also said Thank You )
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for all the posts, I was sent out of town to work on our brance office. I have not had time at all to check into this. I just looked over the reply's and I can not thank you enough.

I will let you know as to what I find out. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X