No announcement yet.

Implementation of RAID Level-5

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Implementation of RAID Level-5

Dear Friends

I need the procedure and snapshots how to implement Raid Level 5 in Windows 2003 server.

I want to implement SOftware raid ok.

Having 3 IDE harddisk of 160Gb each.

I'm a beginner in Microsoft windows 2003 environment. working as Technical Support Engineer

Please give me the steps how to implement it

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by fkhan; 6th June 2007, 10:38.

Re: Implementation of RAID Level-5

Is it hardware or software RAID?
    What drives and controllers do you have?
    If hardware, what make of server
    If software, what is your existing disk configuration

Please provide appropriate information to help us help you

Alternatively, try FORMAT C: /Q as a general purpose solution to all computer problems
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Well is hard to use huh?

Although I wouldn't recommend it, here is a link:

You only really need to do this if you are using software RAID. Hardware RAID has its own utilities which are often placed in the Control Panel.

Click Start (menu), All Programs, Administrative Tools, Computer Management.
      Open 'Storage' and click Disk Management.
      Right-click the unallocated space on one of the dynamic disks where the RAID-0, RAID-1, or RAID-5 volume should be created, and then click 'Create Volume.'
      In the Create Volume wizard, click 'Next,' and then click on the desired volume type: 'Striped volume,' 'Mirrored volume,' or 'RAID-5 volume.'
      Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Hi there,
        for creating RAID 5 you need to go in disk management first. Right click my computer and select manage. You can see storage and beneath it you can find sub heading Disk management there. If you have installed all your disks correctly you would be able to view all of your disk. If not check your jumper settings and disk condition.
        I am assuming all your disks are presented in Disk management. You need to convert all your disks from Basic to Dynamic. That you can do by selecting disks and right click. You will get option to covert it to Dynamic. Computer depending on your memory and disk size will take time to do conversion. After converting it to Dynamic you can select disk by pressing ctrl and your disks and when you right click you will find options to do RAID 5.
        If you find any problems while doing this process you can ask for assistance.

I would seriously suggest you consider getting a RAID controller. Software RAID sucks.
          Departed: 23rd December 2015