Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 NICs how to select "primary"

Hello!

I have one server with 2 NICs configured on it...

I just want to know, how to select "primary" NIC so the ping would ALWAYS return same IP from "primary NIC" and NOT from secondary NIC...

Thanks in advance!

Re: 2 NICs how to select "primary"

Short of modifying WINS and/or DNS to meet your criteria (which really is not a favorable situation to be in), I'm not aware of a way to provoke Windows into giving preferential treatment to any given NIC for communication.

If the two NICs are on different routed subnets, then your solution would exclude the Windows OS that your pinging, because preference will be determined by whatever resolved address WINS or DNS gives your resolver first.

I remember exploring this many years ago and gave up on it because I never found a decent solution.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

On the secondary NIC, under TCP/IP Properties, under "Advanced", on the "DNS" tab, untick "Register this connections addresses in DNS" - then delete any A records for that address in DNS, clear any cached lookups for it, and wait until after the next zone transfer. Clear the cache on the workstation.

Try a PING; you should find that the PING command now ALWAYS returns the "Primary" IP address.

If you're using WINS, stop if you can. It's a nightmare and DNS can do its job just as well if not better.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

thanks!

I will try that right now!

Comment

In WXP and W2K3, right click on "Network Connections" then select "Open".
          In the "Network Connections" dialog, select "Advanced\Advanced Settings\Adapters and Bindings\Connections" and move the adapters up / down to the desired order.

I'm interested to know if that helps.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

In the IP Settings, is the Automatic Metric applied to just the Default Gateway or is it also weighted against the IP as well? If you have a look it is in it's own "box" and not tied into the DG so it sort of gives the impression that it applies to the whole Settings page?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks [B][Stonelaughter/B]!

Job done!

Comment

Originally posted by gregaSLO View Post
                Thanks [B][Stonelaughter/B]!

Job done!
                Excellent! Happy wi' that.
                Attached Files

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

this job done too

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                  X