Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk Quota Error - Rule already exists

Greetings,

•I have problem and I think its a small problem with my files server.
    •I have windows 2003 R2 SP1
    •I implement FSRM on the HOME folder (users personal shares) as test
    •Tried file blocking and quota every thing is great.
    •Than I removed the FSRM components and all rules have been removed
    Till here every thing is great.
    •I put the FSRM back as my manager requested to go a head with the FSRM
    •When I tried to add new rule I go a message (see the attached file)
    •And the old rules are back and can't be displayed or removed

Please advice and help
    Attached Files
    eBe75

Re: Disk Quota Error - Rule already exists

Have you tried uninstalling FSRM?
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Yes I tried to remove the components and install it back
      Same problem !!!
      eBe75

Comment

Sounds like it isn't uninstalling properly. Does anyone know where the quota entries are saved?
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

When I refresh I get this message
          Attached Files
          eBe75

Comment

[attached]http://forums.petri.com/attachment.p...2&d=1181219052[/attached]
            And...? did you find more information in that log? (source, eventID's)

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

well, and what does the application log tells you/us?
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Here are the errors
                Attached Files
                eBe75

Comment

ebe75,
                  Read the message on the screenshot and respond to it before you sending them.
                  Did or didn't you opened the event remotely?

Log on to the console on the server itself.
                  Copy each event with the [CopyButton] on the right side of the event windows. Paste that, so we are able to read the complete discription.

Check also if there where any errors concerning File Server Resource Manager the time you where succesfully testing it.

After removing FSRM, did you tried rebooting the computer? Perhaps one action is still in process? (I notice one event is telling something about an running email action). Have you installed all the latest patches for Windows Server 2003R2 ?

more:
                  http://support.microsoft.com/search/...False&x=16&y=6

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                  and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Hi Rems,

Of course I have post this only after asking so many experts and search in the internet with no luck.
                    I get same error if I login locally or remotely

An unexpected error occurred in the File Server Resource Manager MMC snap-in
                    at Microsoft.Storage.SrmMmc.QuotaDataCache.Enumerate( RemoteManager remoteManager, SrmDataCacheEnumEventHandler EventHandler, Int32 BatchSize)
                    at Microsoft.Storage.SrmMmc.QuotasDisplayArea.Enumera teItemsIntoListView()
                    Exception from HRESULT: 0x80045316
                    at Microsoft.Storage.ISrmQuotaManager.EnumQuotas(Stri ng strPath)
                    at Microsoft.Storage.SrmMmc.QuotaDataCache.Enumerate( RemoteManager remoteManager, SrmDataCacheEnumEventHandler EventHandler, Int32 BatchSize)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
                    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

There was no error at all during the testing the only thing I have done by mistake I removed the components with out removing the rules first and when I add the FSRM again I got this error

I reboot the server after and before adding the components

All the patches for Windows Server 2003R2 SP1 have been applied
                    Last edited by ebe75; 17th June 2007, 13:30.
                    eBe75

Comment

Hi guys,

I got the solution if you are interested I will post it
                      eBe75

Comment

Please do....
                        Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Symptoms

Apply the resolution if the following conditions are true:

You have uninstalled File Server Resource Manager without removing the quotas and quota templates you have created. You have then re-installed File Server Resource Manager on the same computer.

When you open the File Server Resource Manager you see there are no quotas defined, but when you try to create a new quota and apply it on a folder, you get the following error: Can't create quota in the given path as a quota already exists for that path.

You get the error "An unexpected error has occurred. Please check application event log for more information"

The following events are logged in the Application Event Log

EventID: 0

Type: Error

Source: FSRM

User: N/A

Description:

An unexpected error occurred in the File Server Resource Manager MMC snap-in
                          at Microsoft.Storage.SrmMmc.QuotasDisplayArea.Enumera teItemsIntoListView()
                          Exception from HRESULT: 0x80045316
                          at Microsoft.Storage.ISrmQuotaManager.EnumQuotas(Stri ng strPath)

Event ID: 8197

Source: SRMSVC

Type: Error

User: N/A

Description: not available

You want to start defining quotas from scratch

Resolution:

The resolution involves recreating the quota.xml, quota.md, and databasefilescreen files in the \System Volume Information\SRM folder on the drive that the quotas were imposed initially.

Task 1: Accessing the System Volume Information folder

The System Volume Information folder can be found on the root folder of any Windows volume. This is folder is critical for the functioning of the operating system, hence it is accessible only by the SYSTEM account. It is a hidden system folder, which can be made visible if you configure the Folder Options in Windows Explorer to Show hidden and system files.

Since only the SYSTEM account can access this folder, we will use a workaround to get to this folder. We will use the AT command to schedule a job to open the Command Prompt (cmd.exe). The AT command starts cmd.exe in the SYSTEM account context and you will be able to access the \System Volume Information\ folder.

Open Command Prompt.

Type the command:
                          AT [time in hh:mm] /interactive cmd.exe

where [time in hh:mm] is the next minute with respect to your system clock. For example, if the time now is 20:09, then the command should be
                          AT 20:10 /interactive cmd.exe

Wait for the next minute. In the above example, wait till 20:10. The Command Prompt window will appear. This window is running under the SYSTEM user context.

Type each of the following commands in the Command Prompt window:
                          CD \System Volume Information\SRM
                          ATTRIB quota.xml -s -h
                          ATTRIB quota.md -s -h
                          ATTRIB databasefilescreen -s -h
                          DEL quota.xml
                          DEL quota.md
                          DEL databasefilescreen
                          exit

Re-install File Server Resource Manager. The above files will be recreated. The old corrupted settings will be lost and you can recreate your quotas.
                          eBe75

Comment

Working...
                          X