Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow log on for domain users

Hi,

I'm using Small Business Server 2000 with active directory. The users are experiencing slow log on. I am wondering what factors affect the log on of the domain users.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    TKT

sounds like a bad configured DNS.
    please check that.

does the clients look to you're dns Server?
    does you're server look at his own dns service?
    does the dns server using forwarders to an external dns server for external name resolving?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Hi,

The server points to its own DNS in the TCP/IP DNS setting. The users point to DNS server. DNS server is in the PDC itself. Thus, pointing to DNS server means pointing to IP of PDC, right? The log on takes about 21s. Will DHCP affect the log on also? I'm using DHCP server from an ADSL router.

Thanks.

Best regards,
      TKT

Comment

I think you better use the PDC as an DHCP server.

Comment

Hi,

I'm using DHCP server of the ADSL router because I thought it might reduce the load of the PDC which is installed on a normal computer instead of a server computer. And, the users are just 10, so just wondering if using DCHP server of ADSL router will increase or reduce the log on. Another question is that, in a domain, there can only be only DCHP server, right? I couldn't start the DCHP of the PDC even after I deactivated the DHCP server of the ADSL router. It kept prompting couldn't find DHCP server. I deleted the whole DHCP server, and added a new one pointing to the PDC as DHCP server, but still couldn't start the DHCP server.

Thanks.

Best regards,
          TKT

Comment

Working...
          X