Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible? - 2 subnets on one W2003 server

Hello!

I have a question regarding networking on Win2003...

We have 2 different subnets in our company....

Right now I`m buying a HP server, that will be able to host some VmWare machines..

Main network card, which will be used for GREEN network (LAN) would have an IP: 192.168.1.13 for example...
    On this network&IP would also be 2003 host, which would have 4 VmWare machines on it..

Now the problem...

Is it possible to have 2003 host on 192.168.1.0 network na all of the vmware machines on it on 192.168.2.0 network.

I can make 192.168.1.0 visible to 192.168.2.0...

So Win2003, 2 network cards each card on different subnet...

Can I do this?

Thanks!
    Last edited by gregaSLO; 1st June 2007, 09:45. Reason: Is it possible? - 2 subnets on one W2003 server

Re: Is it possible?

Is it possible to create a thread title with so little meaning to the actual contents?

Well ok, Help needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is worse but not for someone with 62 posts!!

[Later edit] Assisted Greg with a suitable and descriptive Title change.
    Last edited by biggles77; 2nd June 2007, 18:53.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

edited.

Comment

Please give me negative reputation points. I beg you.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
          Please give me negative reputation points. I beg you.

WTF ?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I second the "WTF". I see Jason posted a cute dig on another post and reported he got dinged. So if you're trolling for negative rep, you'll have to take a shot at the OP or ???
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Re: Is it possible? - 2 subnets on one W2003 server

Originally posted by gregaSLO View Post
              Right now I`m buying a HP server, that will be able to host some VmWare machines..

Main network card, which will be used for GREEN network (LAN) would have an IP: 192.168.1.13 for example...
              On this network&IP would also be 2003 host, which would have 4 VmWare machines on it..

Now the problem...

Is it possible to have 2003 host on 192.168.1.0 network na all of the vmware machines on it on 192.168.2.0 network.

I can make 192.168.1.0 visible to 192.168.2.0...
              First let me thank you for buying HP. I have more stock to unload.

I'm obviously missing the intent in your question. You can make one subnet see another through a router. So on the 1 HP server you have (for the sake of argument) two VMs, one on subnet 192.168.1.0 and one on 192.168.2.0 through NICs?

Somehow you're going to have to route one subnet to the other or you could try going w/ class A (10....) or class B (172.16...) but 192.168... addresses should be private class C addresses (255.255.255... mask).

I've seen people violate IP classing all the time, not that I'd recommend it.

Real question is what are you trying to accomplish in a "business" (vs. "technical") sense that prompted your original post?
              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for reply!

OK, the thing is, that I want to have 2 NICs on 2 different subnets on same server...

Its sort of server for virtualisation, so I can have multiple vmwares on it, and I would like to see that for example virtual VPN server would be on 192.168.1.0 network and another virtual WEB server would be on 192.168.2.0 network.
                And both vmwares would be on the same machine...
                I have already made this 2 subnets on Smoothwall firewall...

I know its complicated, but it would be interesting doing it, because I could remove 4 servers (boxes) with 4 vmwares (cheaper, safer, faster recovery)...

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for reply!

OK, the thing is, that I want to have 2 NICs on 2 different subnets on same server...

Its sort of server for virtualisation, so I can have multiple vmwares on it, and I would like to see that for example virtual VPN server would be on 192.168.1.0 network and another virtual WEB server would be on 192.168.2.0 network.
                  And both vmwares would be on the same machine...
                  I have already made this 2 subnets on Smoothwall firewall...

I know its complicated, but it would be interesting doing it, because I could remove 4 servers (boxes) with 4 vmwares (cheaper, safer, faster recovery)...

Thanks!
                  Yes, it's possible and, unless it is difficult to assign hardware resources in vmware (never used it), it should be pretty easy to do.

Is there any specific question you have on configuring this?
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                  Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                  www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thank you!

So I configure one card to one network and second card to another network. Then in vmware I assign 2 virtual networks, each pointing to different NIC/network.

Are there any problems with multiple gateways?

This computer is part of a domain...

About resources...

Server has 6 GB RAM (will expand it to 10 GB) Xeon dual core @2.44 (I think thats correct speed ) and all it has to do is run 4 VmWare machines

Easy as pie

Comment

Are there any problems with multiple gateways?
                      Yes, you should only have one gateway configured per machine (i.e. one for the host, one for vm1, one for vm2, etc.). Note that the VMs can have different gateways (relevant to the subnet they're on) than the host, but they all should only have one configured.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

OK I can understand that, BUT how to configure SECOND NIC on main server
                        2003?

What options to use, which protocol to add/remove etc..

Thanks!

Comment

OK I can understand that, BUT how to configure SECOND NIC on main server
                          2003?

What options to use, which protocol to add/remove etc..

Thanks!
                          The "main server" is the host server right? Just remove the gateway from the TCP/IP properties on the host server. Each VM should have its own TCP/IP properties to configure.
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Uf thanks!

That did the trick...

Our company just saved 5 extra servers that are now running on VmWare

Comment

I hope you got a percentage of what was saved. I am assuming OUR percentage cheque is in the mail.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X