Autoupdate Host File on all Workstation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autoupdate Host File on all Workstation

I have 120 Pcs and a server all is connected through broadband. And all system is in Domain Environment. My server is in Windows2003 Standard Ed SP1 and workstation is in WinXP Pro Sp2. I have create a host file to block particular sites. and Manuly copied to some systems. Is there any method that host file automaticly updated on all the systems when they logon to server.
    Parvinder Singh
    (System Administrator)
    Institute of Productivity & Management
    Pallavpuram Meerut
    UP

Re: Autoupdate Host File on all Workstation

logon or startup script to copy the file from a network share to the appropriate location
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      logon or startup script to copy the file from a network share to the appropriate location
      i have a host file on c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc on domain server now pl tell me full commands of script
      Parvinder Singh
      (System Administrator)
      Institute of Productivity & Management
      Pallavpuram Meerut
      UP

Comment

http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...+file+commands

Write a script and post back here for comment. Try and do at least some of the job yourself.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by parvinder_kht View Post
          i have a host file on c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc on domain server now pl tell me full commands of script
          I'm sorry, but this sort of reply really p***es me off. Use to search for "copy file script" and try out the second link -- it does all you want to and maybe more. You will, of course, have to modify the script to suit your environment, but for a Systems Administrator, this should not prove too challenging a task.

If the amount of time it takes to do this is too long, please compare it with the time to manually copy the file to 120 PCs.

For your information, I am here around a full-time day (and sometimes night) job as well as having a family who I occasionally spend a few moments with. I do not have the time to solve every problem individually, just to point people in the right direction where hopefully some application of intelligence will sort the problem quickly.

Oh, let me also introduce you to two very underused words in the English language. Rearrange "you" and "thank" in an appropriate manner to form a well known phrase.

Rant Off -- Mods please feel free to remove this post if you feel it is not suitable.

Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You could also use you're proxy server to block the sites (I assume you have a proxy server??) Populating the Hosts file is not really a best practise although it works...

Although the sound of Tom's words sounds quite harsh, I have to agree with him.
            Sometimes I'm questioned myself why system administrators refuses to learn any kind of scripting.
            Although i'm not a system administrator anymore, i'm quite proud that although it's quite rusty, i still know how to script and maybe more important, how to use google

In this case, even an simple batch could do the job with a simple copy command
            AFAIK the basics of it still persists in the command prompt. If you're not knowing how to use a command prompt, really start as soon as possible
            When i using the phrase Tom has given to you (without the quotes) see the 4th link

http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=...e+script&meta=
            It even has the title:
            VBScript Script to Copy/Swap Windows hosts File (Windows Script ...

I'm holding my oppinion that when a system administrator refuses to do there own job, they should stop working in the IT.
            IT can be much harder then you're probably thinking right now.
            It's easier to break things if you're lazy then fixing it.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
            X