Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get back "run" and/or command prompt

Well,

This is a wierd one....by mistake, without thinking and in haste, using gpedit.msc, I opened up the policy editor and disabled the "command prompt" and "run"....

Now I am stuck...how do I get either one or both of them back?

Thanks
    Neeraj

Re: how to get back "run" and/or command prompt

You go back into gpedit.msc and undo any changes you made

Comment

Try the following;

Run -

User Config > Admin templates > Start Menu and Taskbar > "remove run from start menu"

cmd-

User Config > Admin Templates > System > "prevent access to the command prompt"

Comment

Guys, thanks for your replies, but note that I have said that both "run" and "command prompt" are already disabled.

Neeraj

Comment

Can you get the the Run Prompt from the Task Manager? It's the equivalence of Start > Run.
          File > New Task (Run...)

You should also be able to access the Command Prompt by browsing to: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe

Nate
          Last edited by nateh; 29th May 2007, 20:31. Reason: Added Command Promt
          Hope this helps.

Nate

My advice is provided AS IS, without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by neerajgs View Post
            Guys, thanks for your replies, but note that I have said that both "run" and "command prompt" are already disabled.

Neeraj
            Yes - we're telling you how to re-enable them. Open Local Computer Policy and go to the places listed by "SimonSays". UNTICK those policies and they will work again.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Neeraj,

Another way to gain access to gpedit.msc would be to open up MMC and add the Group Policy Object Editor snap-in.

This can be done by doing the following:
              1. Open My Computer and Browse to %systemroot%\System32\ (or your windows installation directory, Most Likely C:\WINDOWS\)
              2. Find mmc.exe in the list and double click it to open an empty Management Console
              3. Select File > Add/Remove Snap-in
              4. In the Add/Remove Snap-in window select the Add Button
              5. Scroll down the list until you hit Group Policy Object Editor. Select it and click Add and then OK

You now should have a window that looks sort of like this:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	GPEdit_MMC.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	463184

Then browse to the sections Simon Mentioned above or, simply reverse the changes you applied if they were located elsewhere.

After making the above changes you will most likely have to reboot the computer or wait for the policy to refresh itself on the computer. If this is in a Domain environment once you have access to the command prompt on a DC, you can run gpupdate /Force to refresh the policy on member computers/servers and it should update throughout without a reboot. (gpupdate /Force will also work on a stand-alone workstation but to my knowledge you need access to a command prompt)

Hope this helps.

Nate
              Hope this helps.

Nate

My advice is provided AS IS, without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks....Nateh...it worked

Comment

Originally posted by neerajgs View Post
                  Thanks....Nateh...it worked
                  No Problem.

After a little bit more digging I found my 1st post was incorrect due to the fact that Removing Run from Start also removed it from Task Manager and blocked the other x number of ways to gain access to Run. I also found that disabling the Command Prompt also disables CMD.exe it under %systemroot%\System32.

On a good note though, glad to hear the second post resolved your issue.

Nate
                  Hope this helps.

Nate

Comment

Working...
                  X