Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back up problem

Hi all,
    I know itz easy question but i want to verify one thing b/c i m starting server administration after long time. What I want to ask is if i m doing normal + incremental backup. how i'll recover data in case of failure. i m explaining my question. suppose i have done normal on Monday, then incremental on tuesday, Wed, Thursday and Friday. Suppose my system crush on Satarday so how i'll recover. Will i'll b putting Friday disk first, then thursday, then wed .. tuesday and monday OR monday first, then thuesday, wed, thursday?.
    cheers

Re: back up problem

You'll put in Monday first then Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri.

Comment

May I suggest you use differential as opposed incremental backups. In that case you would only need Monday and Friday to restore.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
        May I suggest you use differential as opposed incremental backups. In that case you would only need Monday and Friday to restore.
        Absolutely.

Do realize files deleted / moved / renamed after the full backup will also be restored in their original spot as the incrementals or differentials look at file dates for files that still exist (generally not trapping a file got deleted or moved).

Better to have more files / directories than not enough but if there is a ton of delete / move / rename activity, you'll have some cleanup after the restore.

Point being, do a full backup as frequently as practical.
        Last edited by rvalstar; 29th May 2007, 11:33. Reason: no ==> not
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
          Point being, do a full backup as frequently as practical.
          This is something that i cannot agree with more.

I run a full backup everynight on our servers. Unfortunately this may change soon due to the sizes of the disks and consolidation of servers

Comment

Working...
          X