Win2000 Server SpoolSv.exe Memory Leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2000 Server SpoolSv.exe Memory Leak

We have a server on one campus that tends to have a problem with SpoolSv.exe. This problem appeared only after installing a new printer to be shared over the network. (HP LJ P3005dn). Upon installing the printer (with HP Universal Printing PCL6 driver) and having the clients connect to it, we slowly started to notice that SpoolSv.exe would form a memory leak (which eventually turns into a print job black hole). I tried to upgrade the driver to a newer version, but that caused all the clients (WinXP) to be unable to print because it affected SpoolSv on their machines.

I cleaned out the drivers from the clients and the server by going to the Print Manager (or Printers Control Panel, whatever you prefer to call it) and selecting File | Server Properties to manually remove the drivers. This time I re-installed the printer on the server with the HP Universal Printing driver (PCL5e). This functions, but we still have a memory leak and the clients can't print 1200dpi (as if it matters) using PCL5e. The main problem that this memory leak causes is that the spooler will eventually take in a job and it never makes it to the printer. It just vanishes into thin air. (Not to mention that a spooler idling at 300 MB of RAM consumption is not normal.)

The printer is connected directly to our network and shared from the server. This is how five other printers / copiers are shared in the agency, but this is the only location with this particular problem.

I get Event ID 6161 in the Event Log, which indicates Print Processor Error 119. That's a tough one to find any info on. Any ideas?

Re: Win2000 Server SpoolSv.exe Memory Leak

No takers?

Comment

Damn, guess it is me since I came across a similar problem today with an HP 2420N. Will look around as time permits. Check back every couple of days if you aren't subscribed to the thread and DON'T get your hopes up.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Nah, I don't have my hopes up. There's not much concrete information about this out there. I'm convinced that the HP driver is at the root of the problem, but no amount of manually cleaning out the driver files and re-installing fixed things. I found yesterday that if I let this spooler memory leak continue for very long (about a day) the print jobs to the HP printer will stop printing lines of tables. Very weird. And to fix it, I just NET STOP SPOOLER and NET START SPOOLER. Then, magically delicious, the lines appear on the following print jobs.

I've done an HP Support Chat. I was told that I should configure every client to print directly to the JetDirect IP address. This, obviously, makes management a nightmare!

I'll check back here periodically. Glad to know I'm not alone anymore.

Comment

The problem seems to be recurring faster now. I can barely go a day without some issue arising. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on another attempt at updating the driver for the HP printer. Memories of what happened when I did this previously still haunt me.

Last Thursday we had a new Ricoh copier installed to replace the old one. Updating the driver for that machine didn't have any ill effects.

Comment

If a spooler stop & start fixes it, why not schedule the service to do a restart twice a day? Temp fix I know, but might be worth a try.

Schedule one for just before work starts and another one at lunch time that way it will inconvience the least number of L users.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

That was my request to my director over a week ago. She didn't like the idea. (Although I really don't know why?)

Anyway, I think I have the problem fixed. And I didn't even cause mass hysteria for the users. (Always a plus.)

To fix it, I started downloading new drivers from HP. None of the links for the drivers would show any details about the package. (Essentially a 404 error.) I deleted the HP printer from the server, then while in the Printers & Faxes window, went to File | Server Properties. I deleted the drivers for HP from there (requiring one Spooler start and stop sequence to release a couple of them). I then installed new drivers and watched the Task Manager at the same time. If the Spooler service started consuming RAM during the install process, I uninstalled it. On to the next driver. Finally found that the latest PostScript driver for the P3005dn worked. The spooler seems to hold steady at 13 MB RAM usage. I can deal with that any day!

I didn't use the scrubber utility from HP. I let the Server Properties function delete the files, then I went to %SystemRoot%\System32\Spool and dug through there to delete any HP files. No server reboots required.

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              If a spooler stop & start fixes it, why not schedule the service to do a restart twice a day? Temp fix I know, but might be worth a try.

Schedule one for just before work starts and another one at lunch time that way it will inconvience the least number of L users.

Comment

Ah yes, the old process of elimination trick. Well done and thanks for posting back with your fix to the problem. Have some Reputation Points for that.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X