How to setup a subdomain in Windows Server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to setup a subdomain in Windows Server 2003

Even after searching the forum I couldn't get and answer to my question.
    My question is How to create / setup a subdomain in an existing Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller.

Should the new subdomain be in the same network?

Please Help!!

Re: How to setup a subdomain in Windows Server 2003

When you run DCPROMO there should be an option to add a subdomain into an additional domain (Sorry - I'm no where near my VM's so can't provide a screenshot)

You should be able to configure the new sub domain to run on servers on the same network IP addressing as your existing domain. It might start getting complex if you have multiple sites with different subnets but if you provide more info we should be able to help

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

thanks for the reply. actually i want to allow a two different network to connect eachother. can you please suggest me a good solution to this. should i make a new dc and then make a trust relationship between the two domain?.. or there is some good way... please help me....

Comment

As long as the domain and subdomain are on a networks (same or different) that can talk to each other you'll be OK.

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

when you mean subdomain it means additional dc in an existing dc right? but how to make the domain talk to each other in different network?

i m confused once again.

thanks for the reply...

Comment

No.

If you have a domain called domain.local but you need to apply different domain security policies you need to create a new domain so I would create sub.domain.local which has a transitive trust relationship between domain.local and sub.domain.local. Authentication can occur between domains and users can access resources in other domains (If allowed)

Why exactly do you think you require another domain or do you mean you just want another DC for your exsiting domain?

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

the new domain that will be created is the additional dc in an existing domain but i want to give a different network to it. my domain name is national.com and i want to create an additional sub-dc called sunday.national.com in a different network. is it possible? since i know that for creating an additional sub-dc we need to keep it in the same network as the existing domain. if it is possible can you please tell me how?

please help!!!

Comment

Any one here.... Help!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X