Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not enought letters for mapping dirves

Windows server 2000

I used all letters during map new drivers on one server. Problem is I need map another 10-15 drivers but I don't have spare letters. I can't unmap old drive (using all the time) I need another new letters for new drive.

Someone know how to do this?

Re: Not enought letters for mapping dirves

I think the question you need to ask is why do you have/need that many drives mapped?

Shourly you can't be using all of them? You machine must also be taking an age to boot up.

I think you should look at why you have so many drives mapped and try to address that issue first.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Answer is simple I map all necessary folders from other server which is a lot (servers). And machine where there all is mapped is used to make reports, controled database, checking status - up of services on other maped driver. About boot I don`t worry because is all time on, uptime is more than 587 days.
      I can't split this system on two machine that why I need use one and somehow add new letters which I could use with next driver to mapping.

Comment

You must have a bloody good memory to remember where all drives are mapped to. I get lost after 3

You could use UNC and shortcuts but apart from that I ain't got a clue.

Good Luck

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

If i understand you correctly you map drives to folders on another server for the purposes of looking at files??

If yes then why not just create a shortcut to the share on your desktop.

Comment

I use one letter to point on one folder-onserver, and this way I used all leters one for each server.

Why I cant use share because share give you path like \\10.x.x.x\folder which is absolute and I required relative.

Realtive make me more trubles because I don't know how I could use realitve without mapping drive.
            Option \\10.x.x.x\folder\folder failed all time so I need something like

ZX:\folder\folder
            or because a-z: are in use.

So only one resolution is I need new letters for driver.
            Or I could use other alternative method to make more driver letter for create relative path. If I can't do that I need find antoher way and change more that 3000 path in backup software, monitoring software, serivecs checking etc.
            Last edited by ryszon; 17th May 2007, 14:30.

Comment

Why not use the Hidden shares ($)?

Michael
              Michael Armstrong
              www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by ryszon View Post
                I use one letter to point on one folder-onserver, and this way I used all leters one for each server.

Why I cant use share because share give you path like \\10.x.x.x\folder which is absolute and I required relative.

Realtive make me more trubles because I don't know how I could use realitve without mapping drive.
                Option \\10.x.x.x\folder\folder failed all time so I need something like

ZX:\folder\folder
                or because a-z: are in use.

So only one resolution is I need new letters for driver.
                Or I could use other alternative method to make more driver letter for create relative path. If I can't do that I need find antoher way and change more that 3000 path in backup software, monitoring software, serivecs checking etc.
                Sorry that really just doesn't make sense to me.

What i would do in that case is then create one master folder where all my documents, files, etc, etc, etc are stored then map a drive to that.

I don't know of the top of my head of anyway around this. Now i'm not saying that there isn't as there may be its just i don't know of any.

Comment

Even when I reduce all to using like just map other drive on top like you said c$ d$ still I have only 21 letters to use (abcd used on local machine) that is not enought.

I've been trying with map into the folder but still I get \\10.x.x.x\ and I really need like "Z:"

ok how it must be looks

source path: Z:\folder
                  where Z is another machine

I can't use

source path: \\10.x.x.x\folder
                  where 10.x.x.x=Z machine

and now what happend If I have 50 machine and letters in alphabet only 21 to use
                  So what I`m looking - I`m looking something like use all A-Z and then start with AA-ZZ
                  Last edited by ryszon; 17th May 2007, 15:20.

Comment

Have a read through this.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles...316/16316.html

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                      The easiest way to create a mounted drive is to use the Disk Management portion of the Computer Management Console. When you add a drive or want to change existing drives, right-click the drive or partition and select Change Drive Letter and Paths.... From that dialog box, you can add, edit, or remove drive letters and mount points. To add a drive letter, select Add, Add New Drive Letter or Path. Select a drive letter from the drop-down menu of available letters. To select a new mount point, click "Mount in this NTFS folder" and type in the fully qualified path name to the empty folder you want to use as the mount point. The Browse button lets you look at the directory tree for the available volumes that support mount points and lets you select an existing folder or create a new empty folder to use as the junction point. This procedure lets you perform all disk and drive management activities from the same application.
                      Article not help just told me what I already know, so you could add new driver using available letter but what when you don't have available letters ?

as well don't say to much

Comment

Let me explain m80arms answer a little more clearly and succinctly:

Don't try to find ways of getting more drive letters. Look for ways of using your resources better and use less drive letters. That is the only possible answer with Windows.

Tom
                        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I try all more carefully and let you know guys how is going in monday.

Comment

Try using the Chinese version of Windows. The Chinese alphabet has over 3,000 characters. Some Chinese dictionaries contain over 60,000 unique characters.
                            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                            boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                            My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Using NTFS mounted drives @ Microsoft TechNet

NTFS mounted drives are a convenient way to add additional volumes to a computer when you no longer have any drive letters remaining. In addition, you can add more space to a volume without having to recreate the volume on another, larger disk by mounting other disks as folders on the volume. Growing the folder structure with mounted drives gives the volume a scalable, larger capacity. You can use Disk Management to mount a local volume at any empty folder on a local NTFS volume. You can format a mounted drive with any file system supported by Windows XP Professional or Windows Server 2003 operating systems.

When you mount a local drive at an empty folder on an NTFS volume, Disk Management assigns a drive path to the drive rather than a drive letter. Mounted drives are not subject to the 26-drive limit imposed by drive letters, so you can use mounted drives to access more than 26 drives on your computer. Windows ensures that drive paths retain their association to the drive, so you can add or rearrange storage devices without the drive path failing.

For example, if you have a hard disk drive with the drive letter D and an NTFS-formatted volume with the drive letter C, you can mount the hard disk drive at an empty folder with the following path: C:\datadisk. You can then access the hard disk drive directly through the path C:\datadisk. Also, you can choose to remove the drive letter D from the hard disk drive and continue to access it through the mounted drive path.

Create a mounted drive @ Microsoft TechNet

Using the Windows interface
                              1. Open Computer Management (Local).

2. In the console tree, click Computer Management (Local), click Storage, and then click Disk Management.

3. Right-click the partition or volume you want to mount, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.

4. Do one of the following:

To mount a volume, click Add. Click Mount in the following empty NTFS folder, type the path to an empty folder on an NTFS volume, or click Browse to locate it.

To unmount a volume, click it and then click Remove.

Using a command line
                              1. Open Command Prompt.

2. From the NTFS drive\folder that you want to mount elsewhere, type:

diskpart

3. At the DISKPART prompt, type:

list volume

Make note of the number of the simple volume that you want to mount elsewhere.

4. At the DISKPART prompt, type:

select volume

Select the simple volume, n, that you want to mount elsewhere.

5. At the DISKPART prompt, type:

assign [mount=path]
                              Last edited by Wired; 17th May 2007, 20:14.
                              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                              X