Windows 2000 Server File Corruption

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 Server File Corruption

Please help. For the last week or so, many of our users have been complaining that their Word docs, and some Outlook pst's have become corrupt. When we open the Word 2000 docs, we see the same corruption. Has anyone ever come across file corruption, on a Windows 2000 server, or even been able to fix it.

We did a defrag check, and found that it was quite badly fragmented, so then defragged it. It hasn't cured the problem. Or maybe, I'm barking up the wrong tree, and the problem is with Word itself. Any help appreciated

Thanks

Re: Windows 2000 Server File Corruption

Almost sounds like a hardware issue. Is this server setup with a raid? What is the raid controller? Any firmware updates for the raid controller?

Comment

PST's on a server? how did you manage that? PST's should never be accessed over the network.
      As for as word files, you will have to find a common link between them (same computer, same user, offline file, etc...) its kinda hard to guess the issue...
      Can you post a sample of the corruption?
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
        PST's on a server? how did you manage that? PST's should never be accessed over the network.
        Welcome to the corporate world, population many... where .PST files need to be backed up to tape and retained for 7 years for legal and regulatory purposes in financial institutions. Getting rid of network .PSTs is easier said than done. This is mostly a political battle. The alternative would be to back up each individual PC over the network. That is a much worse route (think of remote users, users working from home, users traveling, etc.)

I've got over 2,000 users with public and private .PST files on the network, many of the approaching or well over the 2GB threshold, and I don't like it any more than anyone else.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
        X