No announcement yet.

Upgrade Win2K Server to Win2K3

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Win2K Server to Win2K3

This has been posted many times before - try searching the forum. Since it's Friday I'll give you a few pointers:

1. Build Windows 2003 server and add it as a member server to to the domain. Install other services as required i.e. DNS, DHCP etc
    2. Run forest prep and doman prep ( ** Remember if your using R2 to use the i386 on CD2 **
    3. DCpromo the server so it's an additional DC in your domain and wait for replication.
    4. Check DC is fine by running netdiag and dcdiag from the resource kit
    5. Make DC a Global catalogue (
    6. Transfere FSMO roles from old DC to new DC (
    7. Migrate data from old DC to new DC
    8. Run in parallel for a few days to ensure everything is OK
    9. Switch off old DC for a few weeks to ensure new DC is fine and all data has been migrated across.
    10. DCPromo old DC so it's removed from the domain with no issues
    11. Sit back and wait for the pay rise and bonus at christmas.

Anything else then let us know

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Upgrade Win2K Server to Win2K3

One thing to add to this. There is no PDC or BDC in and Active Directory environment.

Please do not mention your non NT4.0 server as a PDC or a BDC. Thank you.

Michael, nice summary of the steps. Please feel free to add anything you may feel will be helpful. Don't forget to close the Sticky after editing so it isn't messed up by it attracting posts in the wrong place.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015