Slow network folder browsing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow network folder browsing

I have a client who has a folder on their Windows 2003 Small Business Server with over 5000 files in it. Some of their XP workstations can browse this folder almost instantly (explorer shows the folder's contents in less than 3 seconds) whilst others take 20 to 30 seconds of the window's flashlight animation before the files are displayed. Browsing between folders is OK on all PCs but opening this folder seems to be a lot faster on some PCs.

All the PCs are roughly the same age and spec and there seems to be no pattern as to why one PC would be faster than another. I've done network speed tests (using Iperf) and they are all roughly the same (around 90mbs).

Whilst waiting for the network folder contents to be displayed the XP PCs and server show very little network utilisation and CPU usage so that doesn't help diagnose the problem.

I've tried all sorts of 'speed up network browsing' hacks including registry edits and Windows explorer settings but still some PCs are fast and some are slow at reading the folder.

The only thing I've seen make any difference is on one particular PC if I log on to that PC rather than onto the domain then I can open the folder quickly, if I log off and onto the domain again it is slow again. I'd have thought loggin onto the domain would have let me browse the network and faster but it seems the opposite and logging onto the local PC (using the same username and password as used when accessing the domain) and then opening the folder is much quicker

I've run out of things to try now! anyone had any similar experiences?

Re: Slow network folder browsing

Did you get an answer or find resolution?
    I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
    Chris Robertson
    The Computer Doctor

Comment

This probably has nothing to do with it, but have you checked the speed and duplex settings on the client NIC and switch port?

Comment

Hi Guys,

It took a while to isolate the problem but it turned out to be a network switch problem.

We had two 10/100 switches linked together and I eventually found that all the PCs connected to the second network switch were the ones with slow browsing and slow network application issues.

I don't know if the issue was that the second switch was faulty or slower than the first one or if there was just an issue with the two switches talking to each other but I replaced the two switches with a single 10/100 switch which has 2 gigabit ports so I connected the server to one of the gigabit ports and all PCs on the network are working perfectly.

I would have played around with the switches earlier but the strange thing is when the problem first came to light I did some network speed testing on the network using Iperf and all PCs (even the ones with slow network browsing) reported the same speed so I discounted any network hardware issue!

So it was a switch problem but I still don't know why the network speed test on the PCs on the second switch didn't reflect this.

Comment

There are 3 things that affect the performance of a network connection:

1. Bandwidth/Duplex Settings
          2. Latency
          3. Packet Loss

If one machine runs at 100Mbps Full Duplex and the other runs at 100Mbps Half Duplex it will take the second one longer to copy a file.

If you have a 100Mbps connection but 10% percent packet loss a file copy will take longer.

I suspect that the problem was the Speed/Duplex settings on the client ports on the original switch or on the link ports between the two switches.

Comment

I still don't get how a network speed test using IPerf showed the same speed on both the good and bad switches though.

I'd have thought whether it was a duplex or packet loss problem it would have been reflected in my speed testing - I'd have found the problem a lot quicker if it had have!

Comment

You had a switch feeding a switch? That may be why. I would think you would want a router feeding both switches. Switch feeding switch, you are getting a realay delay because the second switch has to feed back through the first to get its information, thus causing the latency. You would get good speed results because the communication is quick, it just has more hops to go.
              100 miles an hours is the same speed if you have to travel 5 miles or 500.. It just takes longer.
              I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
              Chris Robertson
              The Computer Doctor

Comment

What......?

Comment

Yes the first switch reached capacity as the network expanded so we daisy-chained the second one onto it using the uplink port.

This is standard practice as far as I know and they were both on the same LAN subnet so there was no need to have a router involved.

I guess we either had a faulty switch or the two switches just didn't 'bond'!

Comment

Right, there's nothing wrong with what you did. I don't understand what the previous poster is saying.

Comment

Daisy-chaining a switch off a switch will introduce a small latency for devices on the second switch but we're talking less than 500 microseconds I would think - not significant anyway. Real latency is added when you're talking extremely busy WAN devices but when you're talking about switches which are almost idle the overhead is minimal.

Tom
                      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
                      X