Trying to move Windows Server 2003 Enterprise from one box to another

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to move Windows Server 2003 Enterprise from one box to another

I got a copy of 2k3 server that I want to deactivate the license from one computer and move it to another computer. Initially, I installed it on a logical drive on my main computer at home to play around but want to move it to a old notebook and run it like a regular server. Problem is that Microsoft will not activate it on the notebook because the serial is still tied to the other computer. I can't find anything at microsoft that will help move the license. If anyone can steer me in the right direction that would be great.

Scott

Re: Trying to move Windows Server 2003 Enterprise from one box to another

After you move the OS using some sort of imaging program, Windows should prompt you to re-activate on the notebook. Is this happening?

Forgive me... I've only been through this process once because normally I do not use a version of Windows that requires activation.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Re: Trying to move Windows Server 2003 Enterprise from one box to another

Well, I'm not exactly moving the OS to another computer, I'm simply trying to de-activate the license on one computer and do a complete install to include activation on the other computer. But, if I use the same serial it will not activate on the new computer because microsoft still has the license attached to the old computer. Then after activation is denied I get 30 days to activate the copy before it is locked out.

Comment

Working...
      X