Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant login

greetings!

just upgraded to windows 2003 r2. (firewall enabled)

a new user cant log-on to the server (domain) if firewall is enabled. i have to disable it first for the new user to log-on.

it there a port i need to open on my firewall?

Re: cant login

Hi... There is app on MS site that could help you.... it is probing for domains and trusts ports....
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Hope it will help...
    Last edited by kojo1984; 4th May 2007, 13:47.

Comment

Why do you need the firewall enabled??

Comment

How are you trying to logon -- through Remote Desktop (Terminal Services)?

Have you given an "Exception" to "Remote Desktop"?

@wullieb1: Having a "local" firewall installed is a good thing. It helps prevent penetration from those infected consultant laptops we often allow to join our network. HP was the first company I worked for where I learned they expected viruses and attacks from within. I was so used to companies shutting down public utilities (Exchange, etc.) at the first hint of a virus, etc. Never a problem at HP but every machine was a fortress unto itself.

A local firewall on the machine is a necessary defense. Your question is kind of like asking why one needs an AV solution on each machine inside the firewall. Whacky thought. So is the absence of firewall software on each machine, IMHO.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
          @wullieb1: Having a "local" firewall installed is a good thing. It helps prevent penetration from those infected consultant laptops we often allow to join our network. HP was the first company I worked for where I learned they expected viruses and attacks from within. I was so used to companies shutting down public utilities (Exchange, etc.) at the first hint of a virus, etc. Never a problem at HP but every machine was a fortress unto itself.

A local firewall on the machine is a necessary defense. Your question is kind of like asking why one needs an AV solution on each machine inside the firewall. Whacky thought. So is the absence of firewall software on each machine, IMHO.
          Yep i understand this completely but the windows firewall is not the best in the world. We also run firewalls on all our desktops and laptops although we don't run them on the servers.

Did they also run these firewalls on the servers??

OP

Please have a read at this KB atricle

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832017

As you see you have to basically open everything from 1024 up and also alot below it.

Comment

Working...
          X