X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASR Without a floppy drive

Hi

I haves some questions regarding ASR.

1. How I can make an ASR backup/ restore with out a floppy drive?
    2. I've used the ASR wizard and it backup all the files on the server.
    I thought it suppose to backup only the system?

Thanks
    Yaniv

Re: ASR Without a floppy drive

1. You don't need a floppy drive to make the ASR backup.
    But, you *must* have one for ASR restore. (an USB floppy drive in your case)
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

2. The wizard backs up the operating system boot volumes and system volumes, but does not back up other volumes, such as program or data volumes. To secure data on other volumes, you must back up those volumes separately by using Backup or another backup tool. You can, however, choose to back up All information on this computer when running Backup. This option creates a full backup of your entire system, including ASR data. This means that you can recover the entire system through the ASR process in the event of failure.
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Thanks

Maybe I wasn't clear.
      I've used the ASR wizard and it backup all the files on the server, and not just the system files.
      Now I have a 12GB file, which contains files I already backup via different software.

Yaniv

Comment

Originally posted by Yaniv Hoobian View Post
        Thanks

Maybe I wasn't clear.
        I've used the ASR wizard and it backup all the files on the server, and not just the system files.
        Now I have a 12GB file, which contains files I already backup via different software.
        At point 2 you it not realy asked a question, although I think the link I gave in my reply do tells the answer to your question:
        An ASR backup does not backup just the system files but the entire system and boot volume(s)! (in most cases that is the same volume).

So if your userdata is stored on (???) eighter the "system volume" or "boot volume" , or... you have selected the extra volume in the backup job, in each of these cases the userdata will be backed up in a ASR backup.
        If you don't want the userdata to be backed up in an ASR backup, then store it on an other volume.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

OK, I understand

But it's a terminal server, it stores the users profile

Yaniv

Comment

Working...
          X