No announcement yet.

Silently remove Symantec AV through GPO?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silently remove Symantec AV through GPO?

I need a way to check for the existence of Symantec AV and silently uninstall it if necessary. I need this to happen in the machine startup script.

Does anyone know how? I've looked at nonav and that doesn't seem to work.

Is anyone familiar with calling the uninstall program silently and automating the process?

Many thanks

Re: Silently remove Symantec AV through GPO?

You could give msiexec a go and try to incorporate it into a scrip.

Click START then RUN and type msiexec to see all the available switches for uninstalling.

Hope this helps

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Silently remove Symantec AV through GPO?

Removing NAV/SAV can be like trying to trim the nails on an angry polar bear, let alone trying to do it silently from an automated script.

How well versed are you with scripting? Detecting its existance on a machine would be fairly easy to script and there are a few different ways I can think of to go about this: Checking for the existance of files, checking for the existance of SAVs services, checking the registry for existing SAV keys, checking the registry under Microsoft's uninstall data key, etc.

I've seen NONAV do a lot of damage to servers. Be careful with that tool.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.