Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamic Disk Partitions on Win2K Server

Good day everyone!

I've got a Windows 2000 Server which has two drives mirrored in RAID5 which show in Disk Management as being dynamic disks. On that logic drive I have a C: partition at 4GB, a D: partition at 18GB, and 14GB of unallocated space. I'd like to merge 14GB of unallocated space into the C: drive.

I've tried from Disk Management, Partition Magic, Paragon Enterprise Server Edition 8.5, and a Paragon Enterprise Server Edition Recovery CD all without luck.

Is there anyway of merge this unallocated free space WITHOUT repartitioning and reloading Windows?

Thanks!
    "All technology should be assumed guilty until proven innocent." ~David Ross Brower

CCNA, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, A+

Re: Dynamic Disk Partitions on Win2K Server

I've been here before! There is not too many clone / copy utilities that recognize or handle dynamic drives well, but Double-Take and Paragon Drive Backup 8.51 Server do.

Myself, I would not try to resize or merge the partitions because there is a high probability the operation could fail and render the system useless.

My guess is you have a RAID-1 configuration, not RAID-5. I would add a temporary HDD either by disconnecting the CD-ROM or adding a Promise IDE controller. I would load up Paragon Drive Backup 8.51 and make an image to the HDD.

When this is done I would reconfigure my dynamic RAID, if that is what you still want to do, then using Drive Backup 8.51 Server, use the image on the temporary HDD to reimage the server.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Friendly tale from the trenches:

Try to stay away from dynamic disk as much as possible. There are plenty of applications out on the market (even Microsoft products) that are not compatible with dynamic disk.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by mephitic View Post
        Good day everyone!

I've got a Windows 2000 Server which has two drives mirrored in RAID5 which show in Disk Management as being dynamic disks. !
        I doubt that very much since RAID 5 needs a minimum of 3 disks. You mean either RAID 0 (unlikely) or RAID 1 (much more likely, I presume, as you say mirored)
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
          I doubt that very much since RAID 5 needs a minimum of 3 disks. You mean either RAID 0 (unlikely) or RAID 1 (much more likely, I presume, as you say mirored)
          Yes it's RAID1 .. Sorry was a long day/night ... Sounds like the only best way to do this is to mirror the partition to a separate drive, blow away the partitions and rebuild them, them image back.

Thanks for all of the help!
          "All technology should be assumed guilty until proven innocent." ~David Ross Brower

CCNA, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, A+

Comment

Working...
          X