Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Drive

Hello everyone,

Some users keep lossing their network drive, where in AD profile, I gave connect as Z, what could be causing this problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Network Drive

Guys -

my car makes a funny noise - what component should I replace?

Thanks

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonslayer View Post
      Hello everyone,

Some users keep lossing their network drive, where in AD profile, I gave connect as Z, what could be causing this problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
      Are you saying that while the user is logged on, the drive mapping will disappear?

Or are you saying that sometimes when a user logs on, the drive mapping is there, but the next time the user logs on, the drive mapping is gone?

Jas
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Hey, Dragonslayer.
        Just to add to Tom's (Stonelaughter) reply, I would say that some more details are needed. For instance:
        - does it happen to different users on different workstations?
        - is there anything similar to the problematic workstations (like connected to same networking device)?
        - have you checked the Event Viewer of the specific workstations?

We're not dealing with dragons here, you know. So, if you need our help to slay some network drives, we need a helping hand from you....

BTW, Tom: I found that that noise cars usually do is pretty much related to turning some key in the cabin. I don't have the noise before that, and it is disturbing after that. Have a gr8 day !!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
          BTW, Tom: I found that that noise cars usually do is pretty much related to turning some key in the cabin. I don't have the noise before that, and it is disturbing after that. Have a gr8 day !!
          LOL!!

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

sorry about not giving you guys enough info, some user can't access their Z drive (which is network shared drive in place of my document) they can see the drive, but when they double click on it, they get "Access Denied " I told my users to logoff & logon back on, they can access the drive for a while before they get the "Access denied" error message, how do I fix this issue.

Not all users are having this problem, only couple users, and I dont know what could be causing this.

Hopefully you guys can give me a good solution.

Comment

Intermittant access denied? Access Denied usually points to permission problems somewhere - either share level or NTFS level. I'd side with NTFS level because if it were share level, the drive wouldn't be able to be mapped in the first place.

Do you have any other administrators changing permissions mid day which could be causing the issue?

Bottom line - when the user gets the access denied error message, then you immediately need to check both the NTFS and SHARE level permissions and find out of the user lacks the permissions. Then find out why.

Jas
              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Hmmmmm...
                If there was someone else playing with permissions, why would logoff/logon solve the problem?
                Still, too many aspects missing here:
                - is this an AD environment?
                - whenever a user gets "Access denied" message to his Z drive, can he access other network resources, with the same credentials?
                - whenever a user gets "Access denied" message, run a net use command on the user's computer. What is the output of this command? Especially the line containing the Z drive?
                - and what about the Event Viewer? Does it says anything regarding loosing connection with the DC or such? Or not being able to authenticate?

BTW, on what machine does this share resides on? Windows? Netware? Linux? MAC?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                  Hmmmmm...
                  If there was someone else playing with permissions, why would logoff/logon solve the problem?
                  Still, too many aspects missing here:
                  - is this an AD environment?
                  - whenever a user gets "Access denied" message to his Z drive, can he access other network resources, with the same credentials?
                  - whenever a user gets "Access denied" message, run a net use command on the user's computer. What is the output of this command? Especially the line containing the Z drive?
                  - and what about the Event Viewer? Does it says anything regarding loosing connection with the DC or such? Or not being able to authenticate?

BTW, on what machine does this share resides on? Windows? Netware? Linux? MAC?
                  Don't know. I'm shooting from the hip here with the information I have to go on so far. Definitely an obscure problem.

Jas

Comment

Can you post that part of the user logonscript that makes the drive Z: mapping.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
                    X