I need some File/Print and Database server tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some File/Print and Database server tips

We are a small organization and I am getting ready to install our first file/print and database (nothing special just calendar and inventory) server. My questions involve set up, security, and performance. What are some good setup techniques: should I use volumes, how should I partition (I am using a raid 5 w 3 disks), should I split the file, print, and databases and maybe the system/boot files into separate partitions. For security, should I rename the admin account, are there any templates, any inbound firewall ports to open, etc. For performance, are there any tweaks or good ideas, how about what counters to monitor. As for security should I or can this be done, create a user account without admin rights and have that as the default login and use that for running services? If someone has any other ideas or tips I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks in advance and if you need more info let me know.

Re: I need some File/Print and Database server tips

There is a new server coming out from Microsoft called Microsoft Home Server. From what it sounds like, it's the "EASY" button for server install and configuration. If you can wait for this new server edition, it might be right up your alley. It's already getting rave reviews from forum moderator and MVM m80arm.

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=15451
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I'll have to look into that, but I have already purchased 2003 R2 Ent on a server. Thanks for the info.

Comment

You have 1 server right?

=Your OS is going to want a RAID1 volume

=Your File share data is going to want a RAID5 volume

=By default your spooled print data is going to go on the boot partition (C:\) but if you expect large spooled jobs, I'd move the spooler to your RAID5 file share partition so that large spooled jobs have no potential to run your C:\ drive out of disk space.

=Your SQL data and SQL trans logs volumes should be kept separate for optimal performance but if you've only got one raid controller and one array in a single server, then this doesn't matter much.

=Yes you should rename the admin account. You should also re-create a new account named administrator but give it no privileges. It will serve as a bastion account; the target for attacks
        Last edited by jasonboche; 30th April 2007, 19:28.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Sounds good, thanks for the advice J.

Comment

If this were me, and assuming SQL isn't going to beat the server to death, I'd go virtual. Since you only have one piece of hardware to work with, use that as your virtual server host, and then host 2 VMs off it: The file/print server, and the SQL server. At least you'll get isolation out of the deal. VMs are easily portable and will allow you to utilize the full intended potential of your hardware which makes the baby Jesus smile.

Comment

OP-
              If you really are that small then I would send back Server 2003 Ent. for SBS2003.
              How many users? what database?

Jason-
              Your virtual plan is cool but then he has to pay for three 2003 licenses instead of one.
              "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I could probably get by with sbs, but I am planning for a quick growth. We are a new college starting up, matter of fact started this past fall, and we are at around 100 users. Not much but you have to start some where I guess. As far as databases, nothing critical, a calendar/schedule software product and spiceworks for inventory. I dont think I will be running any type of SQL DB in the near future. We have a Poweredge 2950 w 4GB or Ram, Xeon 2ghz proc, and approx 300 GB of HD.

Not sure if this matters, but I plan on running 3 servers, this one, a domain controller, and web/email. I plan on using windows 2003 on the dc too, but may use suse ent on the web/email. Would it be ok to run SUS, RAS, DNS, and DHCP on the DC? Virtualization would be nice, but I would hate to have one hardware point of failure.

Preciate L

Comment

If you are a college you should be getting your software on the cheap.

I thought about SBS breifely during my previous post but anyone who knows me knows my feelings about SBS so I'm not going to recommend it.

Jas

Comment

We are a new college starting up, matter of fact started this past fall, and we are at around 100 users.
                    Well, if you already have 100 users then SBS is in fact not for you (small is relative).
                    Would it be ok to run SUS, RAS, DNS, and DHCP on the DC?
                    Should be fine.

Jason, Whats up with SBS?
                    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post

Jason, Whats up with SBS?
                      It gives me the creeps.

It should be called "Single Point of Failure Server" instead of Small Business Server.

I guess I've been working for large companies for too long.

Comment

If you're going to run database, file AND print, on one box, I would recommend more RAM. 8Gb total should be plenty - and use the /PAE and /3GB command line switches in the boot.ini to (a) allow Windows to use more than 4Gb RAM (PAE switch) and (b) allow single applications to access more then 3Gb RAM (3GB switch).

This might seem excessive but RAM is cheap and it will have a cosmic effect on performance.

Tom
                        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks for recommending the Ram, I was planning on running sophos enterprise console from the database and file/print server too. Should I go with 4 or 8 GB for the DC and Web/Email servers? What are some good performance counters for monitoring? Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by hops33n View Post
                            I plan on running 3 servers, this one, a domain controller, and web/email.
                            I would suggest a minumin of two DC's for redundancy. Even having one physical and one virtual would be better than one DC.

Definately something you should look into.

Michael
                            Michael Armstrong
                            www.m80arm.co.uk
                            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I always lose my concentration when m80arm posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X