Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS stub zone and me

Hi,
    Can any one guide me in setting stub zone.
    What I want to do is to implement stub zone for the sake of my practise. Before that I have not got chance to work on them. I have concepts that why we use Stub Zone. What my problems is that I have 2 DNS computer. On one computer I have configured Primary zone integrated with AD. Now on second server I want to implement stub zone of that primary zone. I dont know why but I have not been able to do it.
    Can any one here post me solution. What I am searching for is stub zone implementation in 2 DNS servers scenario. I am looking for example that i create primary zone on my main dns server and then stub zone of that primary on second dns server.I tried course book for 70-291 but they are creating only stub zone. They didn't show how to put primary zone. I tried to google but they all were talking theoratical concepts. There is no step by step practical implementation i m able to find. Thanks a lot for your time reading that post.
    Cheers

Re: DNS stub zone and me

On your 1st server:
    1. Open DNS Management
    2. Right click your DNS server
    3. Choose New Zone
    4. Primary zone
    5. Forward lookup zone
    6. Assign a zone name test.com
    4. Finish

On your 2nd server:
    1. Open DNS Management
    2. Right click your DNS server
    3. Choose New Zone
    4. Stub zone
    5. Forward lookup zone
    6. Assign a zone name test.com
    7. Provide the IP address of the primary DNS server for which the stub zone is being created (hint, this IP address should rarely, if never, change)
    8. Finish

Now what you have is the primary zone on the first server and the stub zone on the second server which points to the primary zone on the first server.

It's really poor if you have a 70-291 book and stub zones are not explained thorough enough. 70-291 should make you a DNS master.

Finished my yard work... Updated in further detail.

Jas
    Last edited by jasonboche; 28th April 2007, 19:07.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
    X