about WINS Sever

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about WINS Sever

If we have only 2 Wins servers, Is it recomended practise to configure both server as PUSH/PULL? I had been trying to configure one of my WINS server as push and another as pull but it does not worked. I have 2 WINS servers. is it like we are not allowed to do this (make one PULL and another PUSH) or am I doing mistake while configuring them

Re: about WINS Sever

If either WINS server is or can be the owner of records, then both WINS servers should be configured as PUSH/PULL partners with each other. The primary reason for this is that one WINS server will "know" about registered NetBIOS names that the other does not know about.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Hi jasonboche
      its good to hear from you. Please see am I right or not. I am under impression that pull partner would be getting information from their pull partner. The push partner send information towards their pull partner or after specified or default period pull partner queries their push partner for the records. If pull partner finds new record inside push partner they obtain those records from push partner. So if Push partner has some record which Pull partner does not have. Pull partner would not be able to know about the records holded by push partner.
      Please can any one tell me I am right or wrong about push and pull partners

Comment

Maybe some of the displayed links may help. http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...wins+push+pull
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by ahmer_sahab View Post
          Hi jasonboche
          its good to hear from you. Please see am I right or not. I am under impression that pull partner would be getting information from their pull partner. The push partner send information towards their pull partner or after specified or default period pull partner queries their push partner for the records. If pull partner finds new record inside push partner they obtain those records from push partner. So if Push partner has some record which Pull partner does not have. Pull partner would not be able to know about the records holded by push partner.
          Please can any one tell me I am right or wrong about push and pull partners
          There are some things in this world that have not changed much in the last 10 to 20 years. There are also some things that should be eliminated completely if you can have anything to do with it. WINS fits both categories.

Let's make sure we have the English/terminogy and therefore the design and configuration straight:

A pull partner is a WINS server that pulls WINS entries from its configured partner(s).
          A push partner is a WINS server that pushes updated WINS entries to its configured partner(s).

All replication traffic is pulled, with one partner requesting updates from a configured partner. The main difference between push and pull partners is who and what triggers the replication event. Pull partners pull NetBIOS name-to-IP-address mapping updates from their replication partners, either when the WINS service starts or at intervals configured by the admin.

On the other hand, push partners inform configured partners that updates exist, either when the WINS service starts or after a certain number of updates have accumulated. After the partner has received the notification that updates exist, the partner can pull these changes down to update its local WINS database.
          Last edited by jasonboche; 28th April 2007, 12:43.
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Hi jasonboche,
            thank you very much mate. I m clear now.
            One thing, if pull partner has record that its push partner doesn't have. Is it true that push partner would not be able to recieve these records from its pull partner.
            If you see in both scenarios, Push partner is sending its record when ever record gets updated. On the other hand, pull partner drags all records from push partner.
            In both cases, Push partner is not recieving data from its pull partner.
            So is it true that push partner would not be able to recieve any updates from their pull partner. Only pull partners would get upgraded by Push partner.
            Sorry for bothering you and thanks again for ur advices

Comment

Working...
            X