Migrating DC and Exchange Server to new machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating DC and Exchange Server to new machine

I have a singel server acting as my DC and also running Exchange server. Yes I am now aware that is not advisable. I have 2 new servers which I would like to migrate my network onto. I am a beginning administrator at best and have been tasked with this job. Does anyone know of a step by step process for this procedure. I am not upgrading versions. I am currently running Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2003 both SP2. I would like to keep all the same settings but of course give the exchange server a different name and IP address. Thank you for your time.

Kerry Rock
    [email protected]

Re: Migrating DC and Exchange Server to new machine

Originally posted by krock112 View Post
    I have a singel server acting as my DC and also running Exchange server. Yes I am now aware that is not advisable. I have 2 new servers which I would like to migrate my network onto. I am a beginning administrator at best and have been tasked with this job. Does anyone know of a step by step process for this procedure. I am not upgrading versions. I am currently running Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2003 both SP2. I would like to keep all the same settings but of course give the exchange server a different name and IP address. Thank you for your time.

Kerry Rock
    [email protected]
    You have 1 old box, and 2 new boxes. You will build the 2 new boxes. One will be an exchange server, the other will be a domain controller.

What happens to the old box? retire? stay in place? rebuild to something else? I need to know that piece.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Kerry Rock
      [email protected]
      I've just done it.

2 new servers to replace 1 DC with exchange on it.

Very easy to do. I gave a scedule of 2 weeks for the work to be done and this gives plenty of time for it to be done in.

Comment

Any chance I could get that schedule?

Comment

Any chance I could get that schedule?
          Here ya go

Day 1

Unpack and check that your server specs are correct. Test the servers for faults.

Asset tag and register the new servers.

On your new Exchange Server install Server 2003.

Day 2

Complete the installation of Server 2003.

Install any drivers that are needed.

Install Exchange Server 2003.

Install security updates for Exchange.

Day 3

Complete any tasks not done form the previous day.

Start the transfer of Public Folders and allow for the replication process to occur. This may take a while.

Start the transfer of mailboxes from your old exchange server to your new exchange server.

Day 4

Reconfigure any firewalls to allow your new server to send and receive mail.

Complete the transfer of mailboxes to the new server.

Check your public folder replication s happening. If it is then you can turn off the exchange services on your old server and test incoming mail flow. Get ready for the screams if ut doesn't.

Day 5

Start the installation of Server 2003 on the second server.

Instal all relevant drivers.

Install Windows Security updates.

Day 6

Run DCPROMO on your new server and promote to a DC.

Install any other services, DHCP, IAS, etc, etc ,etc.

Day 7

Allow for your server to replicate overnight.

At this point i started to create scripts using robocopy to transfer all the data across.

Start data transfer.

Day 8

Complete the transfer of data from old server to new server.

Transfer all print services from old server to new server.

Day 9

At this point take a full system backup of your old server just in case it goes pear shaped along the way.

Uninstall Exchange from your OLD server.

DCPROMO old server to be a new member server.

Remove old server from the domain.

Ensure that the server is completely gone from AD, computer account, DNS entries, etc, etc, etc.

Day 10

Install Server 2003 on the old server.

Install all relevant drivers.

Add the machine to the domain.

DCPROMO to be a second DC.

Install any AV scanners on all machines.

This is not an exhastive list of stuff that needs done so please just use it as a guide.

Comment

Using Swing Migration you could have done all of that off-line except for a few hours to transfer the data and forklift the Exchange databases to the new server. That way none of your shares would have moved (would have stayed as \\originalservername\share - unless you fully utilise DFS) as would have your printers.
            Being off-line you set your own timetable.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
            X