No Previous Versions Tab on Windows Server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Previous Versions Tab on Windows Server 2003

I have enabled Volume Shadow Copy on a 2003 server and taken some shadow copies in between changes as a test but I am unable to get the Previous Versions tab when right-clicking properties on the files/folders on the server.

I installed the Previous Versions client on the server and on my windows xp workstation. On my workstation I can get the previous versions tab and use it just fine, but on the server I cannot get the previous versions tab.

This is a problem since I am using Terminal Servers and most of my users will need to do this actually on the terminal server itself, not over a share.

I have found that accessing the file on the server locally via it's share instead of via the local filesystem actually allows you to use the previous versions tab.

Surely Microsoft did not do this intentionally??!!!

Why can't I access the previous versions tab on the locally via explorer on the server machine?
    Am I missing something?

Re: No Previous Versions Tab on Windows Server 2003

You can only access the shadow copied tab when accessing the documents via a share or the UNC path. Browsing to the folder via explorer will not work

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

yes I noticed that, but why? This doesn't make any sense, why not just give it locally as well?

Also, what happens if there is no share? Ideally I'd like to remove shares, not add them just to allow people to use VSC.

I understand that this is mainly aimed as file servers which are sharing and is there to combat that stupid lack of recycle bin when deleting files remotely, but it couldn't have hurt to allow local version recovery, could it?

Is there any other workaround to opening and using UNC paths?

Comment

You have it locally. Just use the previous versions client and go through the share.

If you want undelete on local drives, use the recycle bin.

Any other reasoning beyond that I cannot tell you. I'm a mere user like yourself. I'm not a developer that wrote the code for it.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

why I dont know, but Vista has this feature, let you to see the previous versions tab.

Comment

Originally posted by humbletech99 View Post
            This is a problem since I am using Terminal Servers and most of my users will need to do this actually on the terminal server itself, not over a share.

I don't know anything of shadow copies. I'm used to teach the users a lesson to wait with a restore for a couple of hours/days (depending when the tapes arrived)

Funny setup you got there. Usally i should recommend to harden the TS as much as possible and use fileservers for the data.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

yes I've heard that from someone else about splitting out the TS and fileservers, but the way the Terminal Servers are used, they need fastest possible disk access, that means not using separate fileservers and sending things over a slower network.

We use SCSI arrays and the files are sometimes GB each so a fileserver would make things slower in processing the data.

Comment

Originally posted by humbletech99 View Post

So you can access any drive locally as UNC Path \\<server>\<driveletter>$
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

yes this is what I have come up with although it seems a bit of a fudge.

dunno why microsoft didn't also give this functionality locally...

-h

Comment

Working...
                  X