Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diskless Windows Installation

Me again.

Guys, can somebody tell me which are the steps need it to install windows in a diskless server?.

As we have a SAN and some servers (without disk) i would like to user those servers but with the space in the SAN instead of a Local Hard Disk.

This would be done via iSCSI.

I know that i need, a server, the default NIC for my public network, and 2 Gbs NIC's for the iSCSI, but what about the way in the which i will install Windows.

Also i know that which one HBA i can see the disk when i booted with the windows cd, is this true also for the iSCSI.

Regards
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Re: Diskless Windows Installation

When you make a LUN available to your server in your SAN setup it should appear to the server to be a local disk... the server will not know the difference as long as the iSCSI card/BIOS on the server is set up correctly for communication with your SAN.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

So, I can install without any problem and also I'll don't need the iSCSI initiator and all that stuff?
      When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by Nehemoth View Post
        So, I can install without any problem and also I'll don't need the iSCSI initiator and all that stuff?
        Unfortunately I don't know what that is. I was speaking from a general point of view that when you make a LUN with some storage attached available to a bare metal server, it behaves as a local physical disk. The mechanics of making this happen are outside my experience.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
        X