Changing the IP of a remote server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the IP of a remote server

I need to change the IP of a remote server which is simply a domain replicator for our remote office and handles print & file. I can't see this change affecting the server nor the users, but can you?

Windows 2K3 SP1.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Changing the IP of a remote server

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
    I need to change the IP of a remote server which is simply a domain replicator for our remote office and handles print & file. I can't see this change affecting the server nor the users, but can you?

Windows 2K3 SP1.
    Sure it can affect users. Particularly after the change takes place, both DNS & WINS clients will maintain name resolution cache of the old IP address which will take some time to expire unless you clear the cache on each of the clients.

Another issue, you speak of a domain replicator, I assume you mean domain controller? Anyway, depending on how your AD infrastructure is set up, there could be some things you need to consider. Never ever take DC changes lightly no matter how insignificant they may seem. Also, not a great idea to make a domain controller a file server either. I understand for budgetary reasons... but it can make migration down the road a pain in the behind.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
    X