Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Server shared Printers- all port settings have disappeared.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server shared Printers- all port settings have disappeared.

I get a call from our Sydney office stating that one particular printer is not printing. After investigating further, there are jobs in the printer's queue (as seen from the server) and all other printers are printing. When I check the port setup on that printer, I find that there are no ports visible! The listview which normally shows all available ports and the one port which is selected for the respective printer, is BLANK!

If I try adding a new port, I get the error "You must select at least one port." If I try to add the same port I get the error "Can not create a file when that file exists." I am then stuck in the Printer Properties dialog and can not exit as I keep getting the error "You must select at least one port.". There are NO visible ports to select!

I then check the other (working) printers and find that their Ports tab is also BLANK!

The fix is to restart the spooler service, but I'd like to know what is going on. This seems to be happening more and more often and I need to find a fix for it.

The server is Win2K3 SP1 and is located locally to the Sydney office users. The problem happens on any of the printers in this office intermittently. Only affects one printer at a time. Printers are Sharp MX-2700N & Sharp AR-M356 multi-functions.

PS. I have 'd my ass off on this topic and although a few users have had the same problem, there does not seem to be a solution, just a bandaide fix.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Server shared Printers- all port settings have disappeared.

Could be a corrupted or missing print monitor. Often times, 3rd party printer drivers will install print monitors that can be troubleome.

I'd call Microsoft support on this one because they should be able to pinpoint the issue pretty quickly.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Tada:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q250209/
      Last edited by jasonboche; 26th April 2007, 02:42.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Well done Jason, 2 minutes to find and post. You must have a better version of Google where you are! Points added on JDs behalf.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X