No announcement yet.

2000 Domain and Exchange --> 2003

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Domain and Exchange --> 2003

I've posted about this back in December, and got some great responses.

I'm pretty new to a small company. 30-40 users.
    They had been running a 2000 Domain with Exchange, all on one box,
    Exchange and PDC all in one.

They bought a new server mid-late last year, put exchange 2003 on it.
    They had a kid doing their support, he built the 2003 machine, and started moving things over, but from what I can tell, he didn't really know what he was doing... but started the process anyway. He then got interupted, and after he got interupted, he left, and I inherited a bit of a mess.

He got half the FSMO roles transfered to the new 2003 server, but then stopped. Don't know why. He got the information stores moved over to the 2003 server, and I believe it is handling all the mail flow. But when we had a hardware glitch, and the old 2000 server came down, mail flow seemed to stop anyway.

I've convinced the company to split the roles, of exchange and PDC, so I now have another new machine to take over as 2003 PDC, so the exchange 2003 isn't doing that. I know we had some AD syncronization issues, but I think I've resolved those, and was scared as to what steps the kid may have missed, so have moved the FSMO roles back to the old 2000 Server, i guess my theory was get the domain so that everyone knew who was in charge, and then go from there, and I think I've done that.

So many questions!

Which Mess Do I clean up first? The domain and AD? or Exchange?

AD Questions:
    How can I tell what is this status of my domain?
    Do I have a 2000 domain with 2003 machines running on it?
    or a 2003 domain with a 2000 machine in charge of it?
    How can I tell how far the previous kid got through the 2000 --> 2003 AD upgrade? ADPrep Forest Prep, etc.
    Is it safe to run these programs multiple times, or should I be able to check what has been done, and what still is left to do?

Exchange Questions:
    I know how to check FSMO roles in AD,
    is there a similar way to evaluate which servers are performing which roles in exchange?
    Any ideas why if exchange2003 has the information stores, and if recieving and sending the mail, when exchange 2000 goes down, mail flow stops?
    Is there a checklist of things that need to be done, like I have seen for AD upgrades?

I'm a jack of all trades, but have never fancied myself an AD or Exchange fan or pro.
    Please, feel free to talk to me like I'm an idiot... cuz, well... I am!

Mr. Petri's articles are AMAZING, and have helped me through upgrades from 2000--> 2003 before, but I don't know where I should start when I walk into a process in the middle.

Any help/advice on this would be greatly appreciated,

Re: 2000 Domain and Exchange --> 2003

I am an idiot!
    I've been playing with this problem on and off for months...
    and I just answered some of my own questions.

I found the logs for adprep, and they state that both forest prep and domainprep ran properly. So I guess the kid got through all of it, just never moved the roles over properly.

Oh well...
    I'm bringing the new PDC server up through the ranks as we speak, running dcpromo etc. So far everthing is going well, (knock on wood.)

So I'm just down to the exchange questions...
    and how to orderly remove the old 2000 machine from the scene.

Comments? Suggestions?

I would always start with cleaning up AD.
      One of the many ways I do that is to use a temp machine and then work offline whilst allowing the workflow to do just that in the office.
      It is all documented in the Swing Migration kit at (not JUST SBS!) along with an AD document on how to check for gotchas. $150-200 well spent in my view.
      PS the biggest plus is that you get to keep all your profiles, printers, shares, server names and permissions for your workstations.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

I actually have bought the swing kit...
        it seems really interesting,
        but while I bought it for use in this situation,
        the timeframe, and hardware allowances don't really make this an ideal situation to use these methods.

Not to mention,
        I think I've resolved most of my questions about AD at this point...
        I found evidence that says the forestprep and domain prep were run, and I've got the roles being universally acknowledged that they are held by the old server, so moving the new PDC into place, in-place, doesn't seem to be a big deal.

The only questions now seem to be,
        how to make sure everything is off the old exchange server, and bringing it down in an orderly fashion.

but thanks for the suggestion.

Also, I haven't finished reading through the whole document... I only bought it a few weeks ago,
        If you can point me to any part in particular pertaining to these issues, i'd really appreciate it.

If you have the same server name, you could actually move the Exchange databases from one server to the other - as if it were an offline backup. Otherwise you are looking at an Exmerge which will destroy your SIS, organisational forms, permissions, delegates, views etc. Remember also, exmerge does not deal with Public Folders, so if you have any of those, you need to copy them over to a private mailbox to exmerge.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]

Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.