Strategies for migrate from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategies for migrate from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003

Hi everyone, is my first post . I need know some strategies from migrate from Windows 2k to Windows 2k3, My scenario is: i have 2 DC (AD 2000) and Exchange 2k Enterprise, everything in production in in my lab for tests.
    I know 2 paths, upgrading and installing everything from cero. I prefer installing everything, but i dont know the best way, if anyone has experience plz help me, thanks in advance.

Re: Strategies for migrate from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003

Originally posted by jacppe View Post
    Hi everyone, is my first post . I need know some strategies from migrate from Windows 2k to Windows 2k3, My scenario is: i have 2 DC (AD 2000) and Exchange 2k Enterprise, everything in production in in my lab for tests.
    I know 2 paths, upgrading and installing everything from cero. I prefer installing everything, but i dont know the best way, if anyone has experience plz help me, thanks in advance.
    I know the good feeling of "building servers from scratch" and you may do that, but you will want to upgrade AD rather than rebuilding it from scratch, especially with Exchange being a component here.

I assume you are an IT professional and have done some reading and research on the subject of what is involved. What specific areas are giving you trouble with this migration?
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

hi jason, i have a dude about the strategy to migrate, now i think the best way is do adprep (forest and domain) then promote a DC in windows 2003, but i dont know if the DNS (zones), sites and WINS will replicate to the new DC.

Something else, this way is transparent for the users??, we are talking about 1200 users, thanks in advance.

Comment

Will you be getting new hardware for the server upgrades, or will you be performing in place upgrades on existing hardware? Part of my hunch is that it's time for new server hardware as long as your rebuilding operating systems.

Transparent to the users? Of course it is, all with the proper care planning.

When I was in college, my boss told me of the 7 P's:

Proper
        Prior
        Prep
        Prevents
        Piss
        Poor
        Performance

That was working in a restaurant kitchen at the time, but boy does it translate to my career now.

Is Exchange server running on either of the two DCs or is that a stand alone box?

Jas
        Last edited by jasonboche; 20th April 2007, 21:25.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

The best way may be to use swing migration available from www.sbsmigration.com (NOT just for SBS). This will preserve your domain, your server name, your user profiles, shares and printers and enable you to have minimum disruption to your workstations - an important consideration when you have 1200 of them to touch.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Personally, I always use an extra box when upgrading a domain.

It isn't always needed, but it's better to mess up a non production server!

I remember doing NT to 2K3 upgrades and they were a piece of P... when using an extra server, so I've carried the same principal into 2000 upgrades.

Basically you can do it on hardware or virtual, but have a seperate box that you dcpromo into your 2000 schema, then upgrade it to 2003.

This way if it fails then you haven't lost anything as it doesn't hold or try to take any FSMO roles. If it's successful then bring in the new hardware and seize the FSMO roles and you have a seemless upgrade

Obviously this is how I do it and others will have a lot slicker ways than me...

Good luck mate and let us know how you get on

Dean

Comment

Thanks for your comments, now i have a tests lab, this test lab is the same in production.
              For the migration i have an IBM HS-21, this will be a 2k3 DC.
              Shortly i will comment about this project.
              In production i have 2 DCs (windows 2k), the idea is migrate to w2k3 (transparent for the users). The first step is add a DC in w2k3 in a PC (Dual Core 1 GB RAM, only for a few hours), then move the 5 FSMO roles to the w2k3 DC, then format both DC in windows 2000, the next step is install WIndows 2003 in a HS-21 and move all FSMO roles from the PC to new DC (HS-21).

After check the behavior and correct implementation of the migrations from 2k i will migrate Exchange 2k to Exchange 2k3, i think it is more easy, install an Exchange 2k3 in the same organization, and then move the mailboxes, about 1200.

If anyone has more ideas to share, i will pleased.
              Thanks for your help.

Comment

This won't be transparent because obviously the new server will have a different name. To be completely transparent, you need to introduce a temp server, transfer the roles to it, remove all traces of the original server from AD, install your final new server with the same name as the original and dcpromo it into the domain, take back all the roles and then finally remove traces of the temp server. This is the essence of swing migration - without Exchange, which adds a slightly more complex dimension. The great thiing is that most of this can be done offline and leave your production system running until you are sure you have a new stable system ready to slide into place.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                X