No announcement yet.

Upgrading Windows Server 2000

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Windows Server 2000

I have an old Windows Server 2000 box in need of an upgrade. It is currently the PDC for the domain but has extremely dated hardware, and I'm also going to make the move to Windows Server 2003 when I upgrade it. Because the server has a variety of programs and services it offers what is the easiest and safest way to do such an upgrade to the OS and move it to a new set of hard disks while keeping the same domain structure and programs? If anyone has any tips/advice/programs or ways to make this process easier it would be much appreciated!!

Re: Upgrading Windows Server 2000

Thanks! You're my hero!

I'll let you know how it goes as I'll be getting the hardware/software next Tuesday and starting on it but this list will definitely help me keep track of everything!

12. Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Status Update:

dcdiag and netdiag have a few issues I'm trying to resolve them now so if any of you might be kind enough to offer ideas/suggestions...

On the new Server 2003 box that's a new DC:

netdiag passes every test except:

Domain Membership Test: failed
        [WARNING] The system volume has not been completely replicated to the local machine. This machine is not working properly as a DC.

dcdiag passes all tests except:

Unable to to connect to the NETLOGON Share! (\\SERVER0\netlogon)
        [SERVER0] A net use or LsaPolicy failed with the error 1203, No network provider accepted the given network path.

Warning: DsGetDcName returned information for \\SERVER1.x.x when we are trying to reach SERVER0.
        Server is not responding or is not considered suitable.

Some more information:

SERVER1 is the old Windows Server 2000 DC
        SERVER0 is the new Windows Server 2003 DC

I ran adprep /forestprep and /domainprep prior to promoting the new DC into the network, (Windows 2000 Native functional level domain).

I tried running dcdiag /fix and netdiag /fix and restarting the netlogon service.

I've tried changing the Primary and Secondary DNS addresses on the interfaces, demoting the new server and rejoining it to the domain. So far I can't get the errors to go away about the systemvolume replication,netlogon connection, and DsGetDcName returning the wrong information.

I've checked the zone transfer properties and all the SRV records are present on both servers. Any suggestions on what's wrong? Or maybe how DNS may be setup incorrectly...

Sorry but I have decimated this post. I move Michael's post (post 2 in this thread) to another location as this question is asked way too often. Hopefully this solution of mine will stop the question that this thread is about.

Post located at.....

Departed: 23rd December 2015