Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Network.

Hi Guys -

I've been trying to experiment with a Windows 2003 DHCP server - The DHCP server is handling the 192.168.5.0 network. I have a new Linksys router that I want to plugin to the same network (192.168.5.0) but with a different LAN subnet. Basically - I want to turn off the routers DHCP and have all the devices plugin to the new Linksys router to get their DHCP address from the server. Will this be possible? I've been trying to add a new scope (192.168.10.0) to the server but none of the clients on the router can obtain an IP. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much for the help!

Re: Second Network.

Make sure your DHCP service is actually running, Windows 2003 will not start if it recognizes an overlapping DHCP server, such as your linksys one, the DHCP server mus be completely disabled on the router before you try to start the MS DHCP server - I have had issues in a test environment at home, where my ADSL router was picked up by 2003 Server, so it wouldn't start, and another time where a 2000 Server DHCP was running - in that case stopping the DHCP service on the 2000 machine didn't even work - i ended up physically unplugging the other 2000 machine so the 2003 DHCP would run.

In either case the Event logs will show a failure of MS DHCP to start due to a conflicting DHCP server on the network.

Comment

Double check to make sure DHCP is disabled on your linksys router and it's IP address is on the same network as your DHCP server i.e. 192.168.5.1. Make sure you can ring the router from your DHCP server.

Also make sure your DHCP server is authorised within AD - http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you guys - I will try your suggestions and I will let you know! thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by camshere View Post
          Windows 2003 will not start if it recognizes an overlapping DHCP server, such as your linksys one, the DHCP server mus be completely disabled on the router before you try to start the MS DHCP server - I have had issues in a test environment at home, where my ADSL router was picked up by 2003 Server, so it wouldn't start, and another time where a 2000 Server DHCP was running - in that case stopping the DHCP service on the 2000 machine didn't even work - i ended up physically unplugging the other 2000 machine so the 2003 DHCP would run.
          This is actually the behaviour of Windows 2003 SBS server. And it will stop working if it detects any other DHCP server on the network regardless of scope. It checks this every 60 minutes.

The other Windows 2003 systems will
          a) if it's a member of a domain, check to see if it's authorized and if not, will shut off DHCP
          b) if not a member of a domain, will check to see if there is an AD domain and if there is one, will shut off DHCP
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
          X