X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheduled Tasks - could not start

Hello,

I have a strange problem:
    On a Win2k server with SP4 installed I have Scheduled Task that for some reason stopped working a while ago.
    The user that is running the Scheduled Task is the local administrator.
    The user also has full rights in "log on as a batch job".
    If I'll delete the task and recreate it - it will run the first time fine, but on the second time it will not start ant its status will be - "could not start".

-----------------------
    in the SchedLgU.Txt log I can see the following:
    "exp_full.job" (exp_full.bat) 4/17/2007 10:00:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task failed, therefore, the task did not run.
    The specific error is:
    0x80070569: Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.
    Verify that the task's Run-as name and password are valid and try again.
    -----------------------

I have searched everywhere and googled it over and over but still - no solution.

Any help will be great.

Poly.

Re: Scheduled Tasks - could not start

nothing?

no one?

H-E-L-P PLS

Comment

What does the scheduled taks do?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi Biggles,

The task runs a query on the local Oracle DB.
        I'm sure that the problem is not in the query or the batch file that starts the query, since it runs the first time with no problems; The task only fails in the second time.

BTY - it used to run before every day with no problems at all... it started failing during the last month and fails since then...

Comment

Have you allowed the user logon as batch in the local or domain policy? Might be an idea to do both.

Also is the user resricted in what hours he is allowed to log in at? Also does it have to be ran as that particular user or can you run it as an administrator?

Cheers
          Dean

Comment

Originally posted by DeanPorter View Post
            Have you allowed the user logon as batch in the local or domain policy? Might be an idea to do both.

Also is the user resricted in what hours he is allowed to log in at? Also does it have to be ran as that particular user or can you run it as an administrator?

Cheers
            Dean

Did you read my question at all?!?
            I quote:

Been there, done that; Came here after all other options ran out.

Comment

Originally posted by poly View Post
              in the SchedLgU.Txt log I can see the following:
              "exp_full.job" (exp_full.bat) 4/17/2007 10:00:00 PM ** ERROR **
              The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task failed, therefore, the task did not run.
              The specific error is:
              0x80070569: Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.
              I know you said you granted log on as a batch job for the account, but in the resulting failure, what is the logon type that is failing? You will have to check the security log to determine this.

Once you determine the above, you can cross reference with this useful web page:
              http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Logon-Types.html

Jas
              Last edited by jasonboche; 21st April 2007, 23:41.
              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
              boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
              My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Did you read my question at all?!?
                I quote:

Been there, done that; Came here after all other options ran out.
                OK easy fella I was only trying to offer some points.....

So what changed last month when it started failing? Have you had any changes to Oracle, or even with AD or GPO?
                Last edited by DeanPorter; 22nd April 2007, 03:55.

Comment

Originally posted by DeanPorter View Post
                  OK easy fella I was only trying to offer some points.....

So what changed last month when it started failing? Have you had any changes to Oracle, or even with AD or GPO?
                  Nothing changed in the server, this is why we are stuck.

Comment

Nothing changed in the server, this is why we are stuck.
                    Naturally...

I can't help you if you don't answer my questions.

Good bye and Good luck.
                    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
                      I know you said you granted log on as a batch job for the account, but in the resulting failure, what is the logon type that is failing? You will have to check the security log to determine this.

Once you determine the above, you can cross reference with this useful web page:
                      http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Logon-Types.html

Jas

Hi,

the security logs were disabled, I enabled it and the logon type is 4, I'm checking the link you've added.
                      10x.
                      will let you know if it helped.
                      Last edited by poly; 22nd April 2007, 21:33.

Comment

Groovy. Let me know.

Jas

Comment

Groovy. Let me know.

Jas
                          OK,

I found out that there's a domain policy that grants "log on as a batch job", the problem is that the local computer administrator is not in that policy.
                          I've added that specific local administrator to that policy and refreshed the policy.
                          tomorrow at 22:00 I will know for sure if it is working (hopefully).

Poly.

Comment

OK,

I found out that there's a domain policy that grants "log on as a batch job", the problem is that the local computer administrator is not in that policy.
                            I've added that specific local administrator to that policy and refreshed the policy.
                            tomorrow at 22:00 I will know for sure if it is working (hopefully).

Poly.
                            You have identified the root cause of the problem. Group Policy will override your local policy settings after each GP update (every 90 minutes +/- 30 minute offset).

In effect, you have fixed the issue and it shouldn't bug you any longer.

The minor trouble now is that you've granted logon as a batch job for Administrator on all machines in your domain which could be much too loose of a security implentation than you intended.

Comment

The minor trouble now is that you've granted logon as a batch job for Administrator on all machines in your domain which could be much too loose of a security implantation than you intended.

Well, yes and no...
                              that specific policy only runs on the servers who are running oracle DB. the AD is really organized so it will add this user on about 15 servers instead of 250 servers.
                              I've talked to the DBA prior to that and explained the "effect" to him.
                              we are on a holiday now so I guess that when I'll come back I'll separate this server by another OU with the new GPO and bring back the older GPO to the rest of the servers.

Thanks for your help, the link you've provided really helped!

Poly.

Comment

Working...
                              X