Event Viewer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event Viewer

I am trying to grant access to an AD group to read the Application and System Event logs. Microsoft have posted a solution to this to add the user to Performance Log Users local account. This doesn't work. I have granted permission on the actual config folder in system32 where the logs live and the group still gets the permission denied message. I have also granted permission in the registry to the above mentioned folders and still no joy. I have read a few posts that suggest there is a string that needs to be added directly into the registry to grant this permission but I really don't want to have to do this for every server 2003 in my domain. The users can access server 2000 app logs fine. Surely there is an easy fix for this!

Re: Event Viewer

Originally posted by vavrusekm View Post
    I am trying to grant access to an AD group to read the Application and System Event logs. Microsoft have posted a solution to this to add the user to Performance Log Users local account. This doesn't work. I have granted permission on the actual config folder in system32 where the logs live and the group still gets the permission denied message. I have also granted permission in the registry to the above mentioned folders and still no joy. I have read a few posts that suggest there is a string that needs to be added directly into the registry to grant this permission
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842209/en-us

but I really don't want to have to do this for every server 2003 in my domain.
    Maybe a career change is in order? Digging ditches or fast food? Or maybe you could explain to your users they should lower their expectations of the IT department?

Or maybe you could... like... script it? So it's like... not a lot of work.?

The users can access server 2000 app logs fine. Surely there is an easy fix for this!
    Well then you are already half way there. See, things are looking up already!
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
    X