Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second DC - What happens to DNS?

Hi and thanks for existing

There is an infrastructure with 2 DCs (Windows 2000 Advanced Server) and I will add one more.

I want this new server to act as a DNS Server (like the other two).
    I already read all petri.co.il information but I still have this question unanswered...

Question:

If I run dcpromo and add this server to the existing AD, (DNS Server installed-not configured), will replication get the DNS zone/settings to this new server automatically? Should I do something beforehand?

Thank you very much

I READ:
    http://www.petri.com/how_to_install_...ndows_2003.htm

Re: Second DC - What happens to DNS?

i think you should take a look at this:
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

and to set the correct zone, check this: http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

Hope this is the answer to your problem
    Last edited by spoofer; 18th April 2007, 18:54.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexanderK View Post
      Hi and thanks for existing

There is an infrastructure with 2 DCs (Windows 2000 Advanced Server) and I will add one more.

I want this new server to act as a DNS Server (like the other two).
      I already read all petri.co.il information but I still have this question unanswered...

Question:

If I run dcpromo and add this server to the existing AD, (DNS Server installed-not configured), will replication get the DNS zone/settings to this new server automatically? Should I do something beforehand?

Thank you very much

I READ:
      http://www.petri.com/how_to_install_...ndows_2003.htm
      You don't want to end up with a DNS island so on that 3rd DC, you should configure one of the DNS servers to point to one of the first two DCs. The other DNS server setting can point to itself (127.0.0.1). You will have to point to one of the original 2 DNS servers anyway in order for the DCPROMO to work.

Now would be a good time to upgrade to 2k3 also.

Jas
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

OK, this is what I have done (succesfully) up to now and one more question...

I run DCPROMO on the third server with DNS client Settings:
        Primary DNS: another
        Secondary:none

After completion of the process -success- I needed to change the DNS client to Settings as:

Primary DNS: itself
        Secondary DNS: another server

I run ipconfig /registerdns and the new server was there in AD. DNS Management, shows now 3 DNS servers and the zones are OK on all 3 of them. I never created a new primary or secondary zone manually. It just replicated to the third server via FRS. All three of them, are AD-Integrated and functioning properly...

My question is this:

Now, I want to demote the first (oldest) DC (along with its DNS Server) and put it away. The first DC hosts the Schema FSMO, which I am planning to transfer to another server. The other 4 FSMOs have already been transfered.

So, if I remove this server -oldest one- from the domain, will the other two DNS function properly?

OK, I think I found the answer... There will be no problem at all.
        Last edited by AlexanderK; 18th April 2007, 22:48.

Comment

If you DCPROMO properly and make sure all remains of the 1st DC are removed, you should be golden.

However...

There's an old wifes tale that goes something like "you can't remove the 1st DC in the Active Directory root domain in the forest".

I've proven that theory wrong by removing the 1st DC in the forest with no ill results. With the proper planning, things should go smoothly.

Watch those FSMOs
          Watch for replication failures (don't dcpromo until all replication is working 100%)
          Check for global catalog server status on the 1st DC.
          Upgrade to 2k3 when you can
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
          X