DHCP/DNS and Client setup ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP/DNS and Client setup ?

Configuring the DNS networking settings for a Windows XP client via GPO or manualy with both static and DHCP addresses.

Currently we have a Windows 2003 server sp2, DHCP setup to automatically update DNS servers with host (a) and pointer(ptr) records of DHCP clients. - Always dynamically update dns A and PTR records is checked. That seems to work however I have noticed that the clients network settings also have Register this connection's address in DNS checked. Do you want this unchecked if it's configured for dhcp? if so how via GPO? and what is the best way to do this if it's static.

The previous network person liked to play with GPO and looks like he has enabled DNS client dynamic update under the default domain policy. but do you need that if once again DHCP updates DNS?

Any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Re: DHCP/DNS and Client setup ?

If the client is compatible with Dynamic DNS the CLIENT will update DNS. If not, THEN Windows looks to see if DHCP can do it. I believe that DHCP only updates DNS where the client is not capable.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

So if I set a GPO to not allow Network Connections to update DNS then DHCP will be the primary method to update DNS. I thought that DHCP would keep updating DNS first before the machine would try to /registerdns? or is it the other way around?

Comment

Like I said; if the client is compatible with Dynamic DNS (i.e. Windows 2000, XP, 2003) then the CLIENT will update DNS itself when it gets an IP address. If the client is Windows NT4, Windows 98 etc it cannot do this, so DHCP does it for them.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
        X