Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

allow more then two remote desktop conn.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• allow more then two remote desktop conn.

Hello all,
    How do I allow/purchase more then two remote desktop to a windows 2000 server ?

Thanks.

_ Oren.

Re: allow more then two remote desktop conn.

*Set up a Terminal Service license server
    *Pay MS $ for TS licenses
    *Configure your server to run Terminal Services in application mode (you'll need the TS license server to do this)

Or if you would like to set up a 2k3 license server, I'll show you trick where you don't have to pay MS for TS licenses (yet, probably not till Longhorn) and it doesn't involve hacking or anything illegal like that. It's a MS shortcoming.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Great, Thanks a million.
      I will buy the Terminal Services to set it up on the W2K servers, but it will also be great to know how to bypass the limit on 2003...

_ Oren.

Comment

TS Licenses are free on Windows 2000 Terminal Services.

They are NOT free on Windows Server 2003.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
          TS Licenses are free on Windows 2000 Terminal Services.

They are NOT free on Windows Server 2003.
          If you can legally set up a Windows 2000 TS License server, populated with licenses without paying any money to Microsoft, you are a better man than I.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../tslicens.mspx
          License Purchase
          The process for purchasing TS CALs for Windows 2000 remains the same as for purchasing other Microsoft Client Access licenses. Windows 2000 Terminal Services Licensing technology does not alter the purchase process. Customers may purchase these licenses by obtaining a Microsoft License Pak (MLP), Microsoft Open License, or through one of Microsoft's volume licensing programs, such as Microsoft Select.

Activate a License Server
          A license server must be activated in order to certify the server and allow it to issue client licenses. A license server is activated using the Licensing wizard, which is located in the Terminal Services Licensing tool.

There are four connection methods to activate your license server:

Internet - The quickest and easiest way to activate and install licenses and is the one recommended by Microsoft. This method requires internet connectivity from the device running the Terminal Services Licensing admintool. Internet connectivity is not required from the license server itself. The internet method uses TCP/IP to connect directly to the Clearinghouse.

Web The web method should be used when the device running the Terminal Services Licensing admin tool does not have internet connectivity but you do have access to the worldwide web through a web browser from another machine. The URL for the web method is displayed in the Licensing Wizard.

Phone - The phone method allows you to talk to a Microsoft Customer Service Representative to complete the activation or license installation transactions. The appropriate telephone number is determined by the country you chose in the Licensing Wizard and will be displayed by the wizard.

Fax The fax method allows you to fax a page generated by the Licensing Wizard containing the necessary activation or license installation information to the Microsoft Customer Service Center. Microsoft will then return the necessary information to you via return fax. A return fax number is required to complete the transaction in this way.

When you activate the license server, Microsoft provides the server with a limited-use digital certificate that validates server ownership and identity. Microsoft uses the X.509 industry standard certificate for this purpose. Using this certificate, a license server can make subsequent transactions with Microsoft and receive client license key packs. A client license key pack contains multiple Terminal Services Client Access Licenses for distribution by the License server.

A license server must be activated only once. While waiting to complete the activation or license installation processes, your license server can issue temporary licenses for clients that allow them to use terminal servers for up to 90 days.

If anyone is still interested, I'll show you how to get by all this in Windows 2003.
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

The key is to set up the TS License Server in 2k3 per user, and not per device. MS hasn't figured out yet how to enforce licensing per user.

Ignore the screenshot which shows per device licensing

Jas
            Attached Files
            Last edited by jasonboche; 18th April 2007, 17:40. Reason: Full of crap.

Comment

Thanks for all the info.
              I have setup a terminal server and in the process of activating it.

I am still intrested on how to bypass on W2K3...

Comment

Read what I just posted 5 minutes before you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
                  The key is to set up the TS License Server in 2k3 per device, and not per user. MS hasn't figured out yet how to enforce licensing per device.

Jas
                  Are you sure? I had a big palaver with a client because it was the opposite way around - with per device licencing, he was stuck with the first 10 devices that had connected, and he didn't want that. So he removed those, bought and installed 10 user licences, and happily told me 3 months later that he'd had 18 users connected at once! I promptly told him to buy more user licences, and he huffed and puffed.

So I believe that MS do not count up the users that are connected. I also believe that MS do count up the devices and hand out a licence to the first X devices that attach. If you throw away a client computer and buy a new one, you can scrub out those 10 devices and start again, in which event a fresh 10 devices can connect, but only 10.

Having said that, there is a bit of confusion because you can get given a temporary licence, but I don't want to confuse things even more!

Also having said all of that, this train of thought has to be a proper TS setup, not the "built in" 2 user remote desktops in administration mode. the built in 2 licences are for administration mode only, and cannot be extended even if you wanted to be illegal which we none of us are.
                  Best wishes,
                  PaulH.
                  MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Full of crap.

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
                    Also having said all of that, this train of thought has to be a proper TS setup, not the "built in" 2 user remote desktops in administration mode. the built in 2 licences are for administration mode only, and cannot be extended even if you wanted to be illegal which we none of us are.
                    I concur as I stated at the beginning to run the TS in application mode and not remote administration mode which comes with the 2 user limit.
                    Last edited by jasonboche; 18th April 2007, 17:39. Reason: Full of crap.

Comment

Hi Jas,

OK well, I have to remain puzzled then, because I've gone back and checked, and they are running TS in user mode now, 10 users, and they cheekily tell me how many people they can attach and it's way over 10 users, and I am still telling them to get legal and buy more licences. This has been going on for months and months now, so I can't work out how your experience and mine is opposite. Oh well, perhaps it will remain a mystery, I don't know. Anyway, this specific example is the only one I know of that's illegal.

(oh and I put the bit in about admin mode to re-emphasise it to the OP )
                      Best wishes,
                      PaulH.

Comment

I've also fired off an email to two of my TS guru consultants on this. Will let you know what I hear.

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

One of my TS guys responded.

Someone must have switched the licesning mode around in one of the proof of concept test labs I checked out this morning.

So ignore what I said earlier, it's the opposite.

Here is what he says:

Just a little turned around.

Its the per User mode that isnt enforced. Per device is still enforced, just the same as under Windows 2000. If you enable per User mode, there is no limit to the number of connections.

Under both scenarios, the Terminal Servers must be able to contact a Terminal Server License server or they will stop accepting connections.

Just an FYI, the per User mode will be enforced in Longhorn server. This will necessarily mean that you will have to be running Active Directory. Not an issue for you, but it will be interesting to Novell only shops.

Comment

Hi Jas,

OK thanks that's good to have confirmed. With of course the continual bleat that obarshishat must properly licence all his TS connections, whether MS enforce them or not.

(Oh and just because our sales guys need reminding about this one from time to time: When the obarshishat buys 5 licences, he does not add them to the built in 2 that are already there (because the mode is different) so he will not get 7 ! )

Best wishes,
                            Best wishes,
                            PaulH.

Comment

Working...
                            X