Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NT 4 Domain Question

Hi everyone,
    I know this is for Windows 2000/2003 but there was no where else to put it.

The situation is that: Small office, 1 server running NT4 Domain, Exchange 5.5, IIS, DNS, DHCP and PIMPhony etc and 15 workstations running XP and 98se (only two).

Problem: The clocks are wrong on all computers including the server. If i change the time on the server and include the following line in the logon script

net time \\servername /set /yes

will it effect any other services and/or programs running on the server?

Thanks everyone

Matt

Re: NT 4 Domain Question

It shouldn't but i can't say for definate.

That script that you are running will sync the workstations with the time on the server.

How far out is the time on your server??

Comment

its about 35 minutes out, ive just taken over the admin, so im still getting used to the setup. They are upgrading to a 2003 server in the next couple of weeks so i might just wait until then and fix it all up on a platform i know about

Comment

Its been a long time since i dealt with NT4 and as far as i can remember there is no great problems with time.

If you are upgrading in the next couple of weeks i'd wait.

Comment

I'm not sure if it affects you're appointments in Outlook.
          I have seen issues before with this, so check that out.
          Otherwise you're users will get some pain to adjust there appointments.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

NT4 is not dependent on correct time, however, not having the correct time on the server (as well as clients) can be an annoyance. Think about trying to look through events in the event log and having to manually calculate the time adjustment based on the time stamps for each event.

For over a decade I've been using a product called "Tardis" (old Dr. Who fan here) to sync. my PDC Emulator server time with a reliable time source on the internet (naval observatory time). Login script, Active Directory, and W32 Time Service handles the rest of the time sync. in my domains.
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
            boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
            My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

So changing the time on the server and then using the net time command in the log on script to sync clients with the server will not effect anything?

Thats what i thought but since im not too familiar with NT4 i didnt want to do it then find the problems after!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulsen View Post
                So changing the time on the server and then using the net time command in the log on script to sync clients with the server will not effect anything?
                Yes, it will have an effect: it will fix the time inconsistencies throughout the domain. The method you're looking at implementing is what many administrators included in their login scripts until Windows 2000 came along with its W32 time service.

BTW, speaking of the W32 time service, there was a time service for NT that was included in the NT4 resource kit which you could implement as an alternative. I've posted the .HTM readme file below for you on my web server so you can read through the notes and see if you'd like to give it a whirl. If you'd like the executable and .ini file that goes along with it, you'll need to find it on the internet somewhere (not sure if that would be legal) or get yourself an NT4 resource kit - seems like that would be a wise investment, afterall, you're running NT4

http://www.boche.net/dropbox/timeserv.htm

Originally posted by Pulsen View Post
                Thats what i thought but since im not too familiar with NT4 i didnt want to do it then find the problems after!
                Don't get too comfortable with NT4 because you're going to want to upgrade as soon as you get a chance.

Jas
                VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                X