Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to setup DNS forward for Intranet

Hi..

I've setup a intranet site.. And instead of it being accessed by the machine IP, or by the name of the server, I'd like to configure an internal domain just for it.. Meaning when a user goes to xxxx.com (Example) it forwards the request to my internal server without ever looking externally..

Can someone point me in the right direction? The server acting in the DNS role is Server 2k3..

Thanks
    David

Re: How to setup DNS forward for Intranet

To do this you would need to add an 'A' record that points to the server IP for that website.

I'm not an IIS or Apache guru but you may also need to setup something on the web server.

A far easier way would be to just allow the users to get to the server name, i.e http://servername/website
    Last edited by wullieb1; 12th April 2007, 15:13.

Comment

Hey Wullie,

I've got IIS listening on the IP address, so I think it's just a matter of forwarding the domain name to that IP address... I'll look into creating an A record (Never done it b efore).... Thanks..

dw

Comment

Creating the record is a doddle.

If i were you though i would set it so that it is a one word hit. i.e http://intranet.

Makes it easier for your end users to remember.

Comment

Am I correct in that I'm looking to create a Primary Zone?

In server 2k3, go to DNS management, right click on the server, add New Zone, then pick primary?

Thanks for you advice..

David

Comment

Nope.

In your DNS console you need to add an 'A' record to your exisitng primary zone.

Post a screenshot, blanking out any important details first, of your DNS console.

Comment

Wullieb1,

Here's the screenshot.. Thanks for taking the time to teach me something new.

Thanks
              David
              Attached Files

Comment

No problem at all.

What you need to do is click on the whatever.local forward lookup zone.

Within the console on the right you should see a list of exiting 'A' records.

Right click in the right hand pane and select 'New Host (A)'

In the name set it to the name you want to use, i.e intranet

In the IP Address put the IP Address of the server you want it to point to.

I always put a check in the 'Create associated PTR record' but its entirely up to you.

Click on OK.

You have now created a new host record that should point intranet to serversip.

Hope this helps.

Any more probs just post and let us know.

Comment

wullieb1,

Thanks man... I've found three issues, and I'm working them through, but would always appreciate insight.

1) It now will redirect for hsa.com.hsa.local, but not hsa.com..

2) It attempts to reference the ip address as an external ip, and not an internal ip..

3) When I attempted to create the PTR record, I get this message "The associated PTR record cannot be created. Probably becuase the referenced reverse lookup zone cannot be found.. I did create the A record under Foward Lookup Zones -> xxx.local. It created a .com entry and put the record there.

Thanks
                  David

Comment

Originally posted by dwessell View Post
                    wullieb1,

Thanks man... I've found three issues, and I'm working them through, but would always appreciate insight.

1) It now will redirect for hsa.com.hsa.local, but not hsa.com..
                    You need an ANAME record for "same as parent" in the root of your domain which points to the IP address of your web sever. In addition, you will need a corresponding host header address configured in IIS for your site if you're relying on host header addresses to host multiple sites with limited IP address(es).

2) It attempts to reference the ip address as an external ip, and not an internal ip..
                    Same issue as above

3) When I attempted to create the PTR record, I get this message "The associated PTR record cannot be created. Probably becuase the referenced reverse lookup zone cannot be found.. I did create the A record under Foward Lookup Zones -> xxx.local. It created a .com entry and put the record there.
                    You don't have a reverse lookup zone defined for the host IP address you're trying to create a PTR record for.

Example, if you're trying to create a PTR record for a host with the IP address of 1.2.3.4, you will need a reverse lookup zone named 3.2.1.in-addr.arpa

After you take care of everything above, don't forget to flush the cache on your DNS resolver (both client and server) by running ipconfig /flushdns. This will instantly allow you to test for success rather than have to wait for cache or TTL timeout.

Thanks
                    David
                    No problem
                    Jason
                    Last edited by jasonboche; 12th April 2007, 21:35.
                    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Hi Jason,

So under the root hsa.local heading, create a new a record, leave the domain area blank (same as parent) and the input the ip address for the server hosting the website?

Then that will work in conjuntion with the A Name I made before?

Thanks
                      David

Comment

Hi Jason,

So under the root hsa.local heading, create a new a record, leave the domain area blank (same as parent) and the input the ip address for the server hosting the website?

Then that will work in conjuntion with the A Name I made before?

Thanks
                        David
                        Exactamundo. You're essentially looking for two separate ANAMEs to resolve:
                        hsa.local
                        server_name.hsa.local

Note if you're looking for a canonical name, that's a different type of DNS record all together, called a CNAME record, which basically says "point any request of www.hsa.local" to my web server which has the ANAME of "server_name.hsa.local"

Note that doesn't cover your PTR issue though. That's a separate fix. You need to create the necessary reverse lookup zone. Don't sweat it though, reverse lookup zones aren't absolutely required, but if you want to get rid of that error message when you tick the box "create associated PTR record", then you'll need to implement the solution properly or not tick the box to create the associated PTR record.

Jas
                        Last edited by jasonboche; 12th April 2007, 21:44.
                        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Done.. So under hsa.local (see screenshot on past post).. I've got a "same as parent folder" that points to the IP of the machine hosting the intranet.

The under the com heading, I have a A record that points hsa.com to that IP address.

I've flushed my DNS on the client machine, and hsa.com points to 66.xxx which is someone else website, not to my internal IP address. Since the name of the AD domain is hsa.local do I need a totally seperate Forward Lookup Zone??

Thanks
                          David

Comment

Done.. So under hsa.local (see screenshot on past post).. I've got a "same as parent folder" that points to the IP of the machine hosting the intranet.

The under the com heading, I have a A record that points hsa.com to that IP address.

I've flushed my DNS on the client machine, and hsa.com points to 66.xxx which is someone else website, not to my internal IP address. Since the name of the AD domain is hsa.local do I need a totally seperate Forward Lookup Zone??

Thanks
                            David

No time to look at screenshots, I'm about to head out the door.

What you should see:

Host Type IP Address
                            (same as parent) ANAME internal web server IP
                            servername ANAME internal web server IP

When you ping hsa.com, it should ping the internal web server IP
                            When you ping servername.hsa.com, it should ping the internal web server IP
                            Last edited by jasonboche; 12th April 2007, 22:15.

Comment

The reason youare getting another page is because your DNS server is not authoritative for the hsa.com zone. When your users type this in they are sent to another DNS server, usually your ISP's that has been setup as a forwarder, and thats where it i being resolved.

Creating the CNAME record as per Jason's instructions will fix this issue for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X