replacing old RAS/email server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing old RAS/email server

Time has come for me to replace my RAS server, which also works as the exchange server. Its currently running 2003 Enterprise but I can have either standard or Ent. on the new server, which i already have btw. Also has 2 network cards/ip address'

I'll be perfectly honest and start off by saying that I've never set up a RAS server. Was already configured when I started here, has worked, so havent bothered with it!

So the questions I have are as follows;
    1. Is there a way to just transfer all settings from the current one to new one, including all RA and exchange settings?
    2. If I really have to manually configure, is there a simple way of getting the exchange settings accross?

James
    MCP

Re: replacing old RAS/email server

If I was you I wouldn't put your exchange server on your RRAS server. You dont want your exchange server running on the same server external users / general public have the potential to connect to.

With regards to your exchange box you want to look at migrating it from one server to the other. search as there are plenty of references around advising you how to do this. Here is one to get you started:

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...ation_home.htm

Let us know what functions you want your RRAS to perform i.e. NAT firewall / VPN access / Demand dial etc. We need this before we can help

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

So maybe it would make more sence to keep the RAS as its own server and just use the "spare" server I have and run it as a sole Exchange server? I'm guessing that would be the least hassle?

The RAS is a dual P3 1ghz, with a gig of ram and always used to run solely as RAS b4 I got exchange. I only thought about replacing it entirely as its only got something like a 40gig drive in it and is rapidly running out of space due to exchange!

I think thats what I might do then, just move exchange onto its own server? wot u rekon?
      James
      MCP

Comment

Sounds the better plan.

Read up on migrating exchange and if you have any issues you know where to post

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by swfblade View Post
          Time has come for me to replace my RAS server, which also works as the exchange server. Its currently running 2003 Enterprise but I can have either standard or Ent. on the new server, which i already have btw. Also has 2 network cards/ip address'

I'll be perfectly honest and start off by saying that I've never set up a RAS server. Was already configured when I started here, has worked, so havent bothered with it!

So the questions I have are as follows;
          1. Is there a way to just transfer all settings from the current one to new one, including all RA and exchange settings?
          2. If I really have to manually configure, is there a simple way of getting the exchange settings accross?

What flavor is your RAS server? RAS is synonomous with Windows NT 4.0 and older. I'm hoping you actually mean RRAS which would mean we're talking about Windows 2000 or better.

I get the sense that you would prefer not to muck with RAS, however, if we're talking about RAS on NT4 or NT3.5x, I would advise against perpetuating those operating systems any further. Support for Win2k is also all but gone from a mainstream perspective. Plan on upgrading to RRAS on 2k3. If you prefer not to get involved with RAS, hire a consultant to come in and do the conversion for you, and provide good documentation on the new server setup.

I can understand your timidness. RAS in the NT4 days took a bit of a special touch and surely it was not without its quirks. I fixed more RAS problems by re-applying NT service packs than I care to remember. RRAS in Win2k and better got much more sophisticated, but with that came a lot more functionality. If you do decide to dive in, make sure you have a padded cell available to you if and when you get to remote access policies.

Jas
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

cheers guys.

jasonboche, I do indeed mean RRAS. I did post that its runnign win 2k3 Enterprise. I only called it RAS as its one less letter to type, and the name of the server is domain-RAS-01 (not my choosing i might add, but hey it works)

I think I'll just do what I've said there and use the other server and migrate exchange onto that. cheers again
            James
            MCP

Comment

Sorry, my fault for not reading closely enough
              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
              boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
              My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
              X