Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to configure 2 dhcp server in same subnet and same domain without exclusion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to configure 2 dhcp server in same subnet and same domain without exclusion?

Hi All,

how to configure 2 dhcp server in same subnet and same domain without exclusion in windows 2003?

As we have 2 Domain Server?
    one is primary and other is backup domain

Re: how to configure 2 dhcp server in same subnet and same domain without exclusion?

One scope (same name! and same range) on both DHCP servers.
    On one DHCP server you have to exclude the first part of the scope,
    then on the other DHCP server exclude the other part of the scope.

For fault tollerance it is recomended to make total the size of each of the two parts of the scope big enough so if one DHCP server is down it will not cause a problem for the clients to renew the ipaddress.

So you have to use exclusions, since it must be the same scope used for one subnet that is going to be divided over two dhcp servers

why don't you want to use exclusions?
    and what do you mean by 'backup domain'?

\Rem
    Last edited by Rems; 12th April 2007, 00:03.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Re: how to configure 2 dhcp server in same subnet and same domain without exclusion?

For DHCP scope redundancy, Microsoft has always recommended a 75/25 rule meaning place 75% of your scope on one DHCP server, and 25% of the scope on the other DHCP server.

Jas
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
        For DHCP scope redundancy, Microsoft has always recommended a 75/25 rule meaning place 75% of your scope on one DHCP server, and 25% of the scope on the other DHCP server.

Jas
        True. (I thought it was 80/20 though)
        Why would M$ suggest that ratio? This has always baffled me.

What happens if you're using more than 25% of the scope? If one were to say that you should make the scope large enough so that 25% can accommodate all the clients then what's the point of having 300% more than you need? And if one were to say it's to accommodate future growth then you're back in the same boat where you started. *sigh*

I guess you better get that server back online before all the leases start to expire.

Sorry for the rant and going
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

You might be right - it might have been 80/20. This was something I picked up back in 1997.

Either way, I fully agree with you that I too did not understand the lop sided ratio. Why not make it 50/50?

As far as getting DHCP fixed before the leases expire, that is true also, however, anyone who reboots or tempoarily loses a link light on their NIC isn't going to get a lease any longer. Fortunately, DHCP is real easy to recover and pretty low maintenance.
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I always used 50/50, later on heard about a 80/20 loadbalancing rule. But I was not getting it therefor I still use 50/50.
            "discussion about the 80/20 rule"
            And it is very handy too when migrating servers.

Another discussion is whether to use the DNSUpdateProxy-Group or not;
            http://msmvps.com/blogs/ulfbsimonwei.../15/19325.aspx

\Rem

Microsoft Windows Server TechCenter articles;
            - Scope Configuration
            - DHCP Best Practices
            - Configuring scopes
            Last edited by Rems; 12th April 2007, 13:40.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
            X