Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Files from Old W2K server appear Read only on new 2003 server

Hi All

I recently finished building a new 2003 file server to replace an aging Proliant ML370. There are several Gb's of data that need to be moved across to the new ML150.
    The problem I have is that when I try a conventional copy (in explorer) all the files and folders on the new data partition on the new server end up as Read Only!
    I have never done a copy over to a 2003 server from server 2000 and I wondered if I'm missing something simple. I have searched for a solution to this but everything points to using attrib -r but that is not practical and there are literally 10's of thousands of files.

The 2000 server has numerous shares and is a standard 2000 file ferver SP4 fully patched. the 2003 server is SP1 (cos I want to use standard RIS on a seperate partition for IT machines only) and SP2 uses WDS instead, it's also fully patched
    I did try removing the read only attribute in via right click properties and uncheck the box.. which appeared to work but when checked again they had reverted to read only. I last saw this sort of behaviour when I transfered from Fat32 to NTFS at home but both servers are NTFS.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by AndyUK; 11th April 2007, 12:21. Reason: further information
    The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
    ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Files from Old W2K server appear Read only on new 2003 server

Have you tried Robocopy? http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...t/default.aspx
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks biggles I'll give it a go...

** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You probably already know this but Server 2003 sets its share permissions by default to Read Only.

I spent about 3 hours wondering why i couldn't write to any folders i had copied using RoboCopy and thats all it was.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          You probably already know this but Server 2003 sets its share permissions by default to Read Only.

I spent about 3 hours wondering why i couldn't write to any folders i had copied using RoboCopy and thats all it was.
          I didn't know that this is the first 2003 server I've build outside a RIS server. Is it anything to do with the "shadow copy"?

I re-copied using robocopy and used the GUI front end. I selected the A- R option to remove the read only attribute. It appears to have worked for Files but folders are all read only now..

wullieb was this the same in your case?
          Last edited by AndyUK; 12th April 2007, 14:17.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyUK View Post
            I didn't know that this is the first 2003 server I've build outside a RIS server. Is it anything to do with the "shadow copy"?

I re-copied using robocopy and used the GUI front end. I selected the A- R option to remove the read only attribute. It appears to have worked for Files but folders are all read only now..

wullieb was this the same in your case?
            I don't think it has anything to do with "Shadow Copy".

The reason your folders are read only is because it will pull the permissions from the top level folder.

It really does sound like you need to change that one diddy checkbox.

MS way of clamping down.

Try it and see what happens.

Comment

Ok tried that this morning .... It didn't work

The Read-Only checkbox is greyed out but changable. I can uncheck it then click ok to apply to all subfolders etc. But then clicking on properties again I find the box is checked again.

The only time I saw this behaviour before was several years ago when files where copied from an old 98 PC to an XP PC, the differance being copying from Fat32 to NTFS. I remeber the problem then was NTFS being unable to inherit permissions.

I'm going to try copying to my 2003 RIS server and then to the File server. I'll also try copying to another 2000 server first then to the 2003 server.

Any further suggestion welcome. I'll post when I've tried the above.

Comment

This honestly sounds like the same problem i had.

Where did you un-check the Read Only box??

Another thing that has just popped into my mine is to ensure that the share permissions are correct.

Another clamping down part by MS has seen that when you initially create a share the default permissions are read only for the share.

See attached pic
                Attached Files

Comment

Thaks wullieb

It failed

Here's what I did:
                  Copied files using robocopy (GUI version) Copyall /E (all subfolders) and A- (Remove Read-Only)

1. 2000 to 2000 WSUS server ................. It worked fine
                  2. 2000 to 2003 RIS server ................. Failed still read-only
                  3. 2000 WSUS to 2003 ................. Failed " " "
                  4. Uninstalled the File Server componants and re copied ..... Failed
                  5. Checked permissions on root folder and made sure they are same as 2000 although I had not shared the folder first I did try it with it shared and it failed

From this I think we can safely say it's down to 2003. What I'm going to try next is to copy data that has no shares in 2000 and see if this it where the problem orgininates.

Edit: Well tried the one above and it also failed ..... I'm stummped!
                  Last edited by AndyUK; 13th April 2007, 10:38.

Comment

Parcial Explanation I found this MS KB article

http://KB Article 326549

Looks like in some situations this is normal behaviour. The files remain as they are and the folders show as read-only. Good old M$
                    I'll try the work round as none of the folders in question (as far as I'm aware) have any customisations applied

My thanks to wullieb & biggles for the feedback and help

Comment

Sorry i couldn't help any further.

I do however rememebr reading about something tri when i was looking it up.

I'll try and remember what it was.

Comment

Had a 2003 server where I wasn't able to change the Read Only on the SHARE. Ended up addeing a new SHARE to the root of the D drive and applying Full Control to Everyone on the second SHARE. Try that and see if you can then copy without the failures.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well looks like it's a defenite case of M$'ism It is done by design KB 25664

However according to what I've read it has no effect on the folders as such only say that some apps may not work correctly, I think you'd have trouble on an Apps server. As I only configured this as a file server I'll run as is and be dammed. Just out of interest.... I created a new folder on the 2003 server and low and behold it was read-only by default and would not let me remove it.

Thanks again for the help & suggestions guys

Comment

Working...
                          X